Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Broken/Fractured Pelvis?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Broken/Fractured Pelvis?

Postby Yoshi7 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Hello everybody~

My 2 1/2 year old GCC, Yoshi, got startled this evening and went flying into the wall, and then fell hard on the floor. His right foot isn’t able to grip. His left leg is slightly better. His tail is arched sharply downward. The local 24 hour emergency vets do not work on birds so I have to wait until tomorrow morning. I’m devastated and was trying to research if he has a broken back or pelvis, and what the odds are from recovering.

He’s still able to fly. He escaped my grip and flew on my couch but he kinda flipped over on his side afterwards.

Would appreciate any feedback.
Yoshi7
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Broken/Fractured Pelvis?

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:01 am

Sorry I did not see this last night but, in all honesty, the best thing you can do is take the bird to the vet for an XRay. Having said that, birds that end up with some trauma (I am talking both physical and emotional), always go into some sort of... not really shock but more like a confused state where they would flap or fly away in an uncoordinated manner. The best thing to do when one doesn't know exactly what the problem is but the bird is still conscious and alert, is to keep them super calm and warm and, in most cases, they end up OK or with a minor something. Let's hope that is the case with your little baby.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet