Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal parrot , lost contour feathers on back and belly

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Senegal parrot , lost contour feathers on back and belly

Postby DExUS » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:48 am

Update ...

He is out of the cage 4-8 hours per day and gets alot of attention, I gave him the best food I can.
And as I have expected, nothing changed. He has like +10% more feathers on his back, but he still plucks them. Still no colored feathers on the belly.
Now when he got used to being out so long, he screams extremely when he is in his cage.
He never stops, I have tried to ignore him but 3h+ of nonstop screaming was enough for a test...
Now he is out 8+ hours per day. Only after dark, he is quiet and sleeping.

As I see it, there is only one option left.
There would be two, in case I have homeoffice for several next years :D , but at this stage the only possible solution will be getting another parrot to make him company.
Though this can go so wrong in so many ways, senegals are teritorial and attachable to persons.
Not talking about what to do if they hate each other.

Can you see any other option ?
DExUS
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Lovebird, Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Are you making sure he is following a super strict solar schedule with two full hours of twilight without any exposure to artificial light and completely black nights? Because sennies breeding season is in the fall so they are not producing sexual hormones this time of the year (mine are very calm right now).

Also, when you say he is out for 8 hours, does this mean that he is with you? On your shoulder? Because they not only need to be out of cage, they need many hours of one-on-one and, in truth, sennies are not demanding at all when it comes to 'keeping company'... all they want is to be on your shoulder -at least that is the way that all the sennies I've cared for were and still are.

Getting him a female might work but, as you would have to adopt an adult female (a baby or a juvenile would not work) that, most likely, did not have exposure to a male, this could mean that you will need to wait years for them to bond. It might not - it might be that he falls madly in love with her at first sight and she returns his feelings immediately. Nobody knows. I've had Sweetpea for - what? 13 or 14 years? and he fell head over heels madly in love with Tobita, a female senegal I used to have (she died years ago) at first sight. He saw her from afar during quarantine and could not take his eyes off her (he would always move to the side where he could see her and stare constantly). She was a sweet thing that allowed him to preen her and keep her company but, when she died and Zoey came to live with us, she did not like him at all and it took years for her to accept him (she wouldn't even let him perch near her). They are fine now, they fly/eat/sleep together and he makes a nest for her every fall (she has never laid an egg but that's most likely because Sweetpea does not feed her in her beak). So, it could work - or it could not.

My own Sweetpea plucks, too. He started after Nicky, his second mate and an old Nanday that he had hooked up with when Tobita died, also passed only two years after Tobita. I guess he couldn't take the second loss so close to the first and, in his despair/depression, he started plucking... and he hasn't stop even after Zoey accepted him so it might be that you will have to resign yourself to living with a plucking bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby kumar0raja » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:08 am

I am sure that introducing a female companion can solve the issue, however it's hard to imagine training a new parrot from scratch, since this one is very well trained and behaved. (speaks like 5+ words)
teatv apk
hellodear.in
Last edited by kumar0raja on Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kumar0raja
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: w

Postby arora2deepak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 am

thank you for the reply, I thought that he will select any feather not just the green ones, he has all the white ones.
arora2deepak
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby DExUS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

papucha.jpg

A wild parrot has appeared!

she has 12 years, extremely calm, very intelligent.
They don't dislike each other, however they do not like to be close.
The male seems to be aggressive and she is just calm, walking away...
Can't have them in the same cage right now, so they have their cages right next to each other.

He screams less, however he still plucks..., having now only 3 feathers on his tail... I wonder how he will fly if he has none...
I knew that it probably wont solve the plucking issue since it is the most problematic one, but I hope he will scream less once they will get acquainted.
DExUS
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Lovebird, Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 am

That's GREAT NEWS!!!!! Kudos to you for getting him a companion! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now, do not despair if it takes a long time for them to bond. I have found that they bond two ways: one is love at first sight and two is slowly but surely. My senegals took, literally, years to bond but it was her that did not want his attentions. Their breeding season is in the fall so, if you keep them at a super strict solar schedule and change their diet from less to more protein during the spring and summer, it helps with the bonding because they will be producing the exact amount of sexual hormones at precisely the right time. Also, give them cardboard boxes to chew starting mid summer (he will chew and chew and you will have to replace them very often so keep a good supply handy). The boxes should not be too big or too small but big enough for both of them to go inside and a little room to spare - also, they should not be completely open (they need to hide a bit).

Mind you, I am NOT recommending you actually breed them! I am completely against breeding parrots in captivity but I am all for allowing them to follow their circannual cycles and breeding is, by far, the most important goal in their entire lives so giving them the means to do all the steps: courting, nesting, laying and even brooding is actually very beneficial to them both from a physical and an emotional point of view. The only thing is that they need to have a very good diet prior and during the breeding season because each egg they lay actually depletes their reserves by 25% so one needs to be extra careful with calcium and vit D3 intake so the hens don't become eggbound (I've kept birds for over 50 years, bred canaries for over 25 and have parrots that lay every year -I have an amazon hen sitting on two eggs right now- and I have never EVER had a single eggbound hen so it's entirely possible).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby arora2deepak » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 am

In the past I had several parrots but not as inteligent as this one, I know that the more inteligent they are, they tend to have more mental issues. vidmate app instasave.onl
arora2deepak
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:28 am

Wrong! 99.9999% of the cases of plucking, it's not caused by disease but emotional and/or improper care.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet