Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Burns

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Burns

Postby Kayla » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi so idk how this website works since but it’s a bird and people seem to talk here I wanna ask for advice. So my bird, Apollo whose a budgie, got burned by some hot water a little over two weeks ago. I did try researching but it got confusing because one website said this another said that. I really really wanted to take him to the vet but 1 my father is selfish and 2 the vet is over 100$ :/ my mother actually said it was like 500$ because they’re closed and it would be an emergency a n d he’s a bird they always charge more for birds.. so I couldn’t take him to the vet and I felt so bad. Some lady tho told my mother the coconut oil and honey(manuka) mixed together would help and to just apply to his feet. We did that but it made the top part of his leg super red so my mother said to stop. Before the oil tho his leg was scabbing which was why the lady told us the apply that stuff. I don’t know if it actually helped. I’ve only had these birds for 3 months so I few horrible doing so poorly for Apollo. I did do research but I guess I didn’t expect him to get burned. And just now today we put a cool wet paper towel over his foot because it has been swollen the w h o l e time and I don’t think it’s good. I tried to read on it but for some reason couldn’t find anything. So when applying the towel he moved and I think I put too much pressure on his foot because Something poPpEd and orange goo came out. So I’m worried about him and now I just don’t know what to do I don’t want him to die but I don’t want him to suffer. Is there anything to help with his leg? His foot? Anything to help the pain go away or help it heal. Advice would be very helpful and maybe some websites with good information please. (Also his poop is still normal! So I think the main problem is his left leg?)
Kayla
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Burns

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:08 am

My dear, I realize that you want to help the poor little thing but he is suffering and needs medical treatment or, at least, somebody who has a lot of experience with injured birds and has the meds he
needs. for all your good intentions, you simply do not have the knowledge, the meds or the financial resources. I also realize your parents are not being very cooperative about the whole thing and will not pay for a vet (it would cost much closer to $100 than to $500) so what you need to do is call local bird rescues and ask them for help in either taking the bird in (so they can take it to the vet) or giving you advice/medicine for it. He needs metacam (which is a pain killer but you can only get it with a vet's prescription), antibiotics (because the 'goo' that came out is, most likely, pus) and ointment for his burns as well as soft perches and surfaces (because the feet cannot be bandaged so you need to reduce, as much as possible, the friction on the burns so they can heal).

If you cannot find a good rescue (don't give it to just anybody who calls itself a rescuer or says they have experience) and you are in the NY tristate area, I can send my husband to pick him up as I could treat him for you (I don't want to keep him, I just don't want him to continue suffering - I have the meds he needs and the experience to treat him).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Kayla » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi Pajarita(not sure if you can see this reply this website is a little confusing) I do feel guilty for what happened to him since he is technically my bird I should’ve put him away but my mother assured he was fine but well things happen(and I just feel bad that I didn’t know what to do, I definitely will be continuing my research with bird injuries) My mother wants to help( and it probably is 100$ or a little more I might’ve misheard her lmao) the little bird but it’s the old man :/ he actually has the money to help my bird but me and him never get along so he’s just saying he has no money when he’s literally getting payed today. But I will try my best to get him to the vet today if not today hopefully as soon as possible because he’s probably gone too long without the medication he needs. I’ll be sure to call some local bird rescues and get him softer perch’s(we took out all the other ones and actually gave him soft flat perches the day he was burned so at least I got that right lMao) thank you for replying tho:) and thanks for even offering to give him medicine! Sadly I don’t live anywhere near NY tristate but thank you again
Kayla
Parakeet

Lovebird

Postby Kayla » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:01 pm

DLLCKCKN ok actually I just talked to my mother and we’re taking him to the vet tomorrow!! It’ll cost 120$ how much is medicine for birds?
Kayla
Parakeet

Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am

Look, things happen. They happen to all of us and, although it's good to feel guilty (because it's the only way we remember not to do it again), it really serves no purpose (crying over spilt milk and all that). The important thing now is to take good care of the poor little thing.

As to the costs, It depends on what the medicine is. He will need Metacam (or meloxicam, which is the same thing - and you will need to be VERY careful about the dosage because budgies are very small), an antibiotic/anesthetic ointment or spray and oral antibiotics. But he might also need some sort of procedure because that 'orange goo' might very well be necrotic (dead) flesh that he will need excised (they kind of scrape all the dead flesh off until they reach healthy blood vessels so new skin can grow back) and that will be extra.

Wrap soft toilet tissue or paper towels around the perch (don't use the vet wrap because it's not as soft) and give him a horizontal flat surface too (like a cage wire platform with soft paper lining it).

Let us know how it went. And come back to learn about proper diet because they are not supposed to eat seeds all the time - I don't know what you are feeding them but most people don't know what the right diet is for budgies and that's why they always die so young (budgies can live well into their late teens if taken care of correctly).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet