Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best Pellet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Best Pellet?

Postby a.susz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

i think they smell so fruity and enticing because they add unnecessary fruit flavor additives and sugars. it just isn't needed, and will be better for them in the long run.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Postby Kim S » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:31 am

OK, like I mentioned on another thread already, I ordered some samples.
Harrisson's mailed back to say they dont do samples. If I want to try Harrissons I should buy a poundbag, use it and keep using it till my parrot eats it. Thats the best way of switching according to Harrissons :?
The Roudybush just came in today, and I expect Scenic to be in by tomorrow.
I have been thinking of trying Zupreem aswell, but the colour and taste additions kinda scare me off.
I will try to give them as treats over the next few days, trying to get a sense of what Kika might like best.

But I have been thinking. My parrotshop told me african greys, senegals and all other african parrots are used to a high calcium diet. So they are prone to calcium deficienty if not given enough of it. The store advised me to buy their pellets specially develloped for calciumneedy parrots. And even told me to get calciumpowder to put in the water. I tried, but I'm not too keen on adding stuff to the water.
Reading up on the pellets, there was not a single brand that talked about the calciumshortage for african parrots.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Rrrma » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:23 am

Java wrote:Michael, you actually tasted all the different foods, LOL?

I have too! I taste just about everything any of my animals eat. I've eaten dogfood, catfood, treats, birdfood, pellets. I figure if it is good for them, it should be fine for me to try.

Some dog treats are surprisingly tasty :lol:
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Rue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:52 am

Java, the Pi came to us weaned on the coloured Zupreem...and I found the smell horrible (so strong!)...

...I don't notice that about the Natural...

...lol...okay! I'm off my hobby-horse now... :lol:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby MandyG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Has anyone heard of or tried Lake's Pet Bird Food? A person I was talking to recommended it. I'll try to do some more research about it tonight (never hurts to know what's out there ;) ) but I just thought I'd see if any of you have heard of it and what your thoughts were.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Mr.Darcy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 pm

MandyG wrote:Well I just got my first bag of Harrisons from my vet, we'll see how he takes to it.

Are there any Canadians on here that get Roudybush online? Around here there was only one supplier and they've stopped carrying it. If it's cheaper and my parrot likes it more I'd like to try it but I don't know of any reliable online sources in Canada.

Parrotdise perch is Canadian. They are in Calgary and Toronto. I was in the shop on a trip to Calgary on the weekend, nice store, very clean and tonnes of stuff! They do sell Roudybush

Good luck
Marlies
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby sandyhendricks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 pm

When I first bought my parrot back in 94 I read all about Lafeber's pellets. These pellets were recommended to me by the breeder and in reading materials sounded like a good food source. Since then I have found out these pellets contain or contained a small amount of ethoxyguin, a poison, which is harmful to the kidneys. My bird ended up dying with kidney disease when she was 15 years old and I can't help but believe these pellets were part of the reason my bird developed kidney disease. She was a picky eater but always would eat her pellets. I wanted to post this because I want other people to read the ingredients in their animals processed food and check the info on the internet. I know in 2005 they also found roudybush pellets to have this same chemical in it not sure if they still do. The vet I took my bird to (who was an Avian vet )in treating my bird had me give her celebrex which is also hard on the kidneys. She should of preformed blood test etc before prescribing this medicine. I've been going over in my head how I could of been a better pet guardian. I come up with is keeping updated on the food you purchase. It seems like daily they are finding more information which can help you make better decisions on what you purchase. The medicine you give your bird, read up on the side effects and don't feel bad about getting second opinion. Or if I would of know about this forum when she started having issues - I could of asked you. My bird was a lovely bird and I wish she was still with me. Missing Olive-
sandyhendricks
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: I Did own a Blue Front Amazon named Olive till 8-14-10 till she died of Kidney failure
Flight: No

Postby a.susz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:41 am

im sorry to hear that your bird passed so horribly. RIP. unfortunately, sometimes kidney and liver failure is usually not reversable(hence why we as humans need transplants when ours go bad.) so there is probably nothing you could have done. don't be hard on yourself, if you were trying to be a responsible owner by giving your bird a nutritious diet, then it is the companies fault for not warning about their horrible food. also i heard that roudybush removed the toxin....
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:50 am

I will wait for Michael to answer but I never heard of a parrot food made by Purina - they do have a game bird food, though -maybe that is what the breeder was feeding them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet