Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best Pellet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Best Pellet?

Postby HeartHaze » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 am

guys i need your opinion about pellets. what brand of pellet do you think is the best? in our country, it's rare to see pet stores that sell pellets for birds. i'm planning to buy online but i don't know what brand is good. before i order one, i need your opinions. :) also, if you have a good site that ships pellets international, could you put the site here? :) thanks in advance :)
HeartHaze
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Best Pellet?

Postby pchela » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:22 pm

I would look for Harrisons or Roudybush. They are two of the better pellet brands.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby thejoie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I agree, Harrison's or Roudybush. TOPS makes a great pellet too but my birds don't seem to take to it. We use Roudybush here. Crumble sized for the lil birds and small sized for the rest!
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby c.hack » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 am

Before I brought home my Senegal, I asked the various pellet manufacturers for samples. Harrisons, Roudybush, and Lefeber sent Sennie sized samples along with some interesting literature. I have to hand it to Lafeber - they sent me a 1.25 lb tub along with packages of all their treats. My Senegal will eat any of the 3, but of course his 1st choice is snacks. He loves the various Lafeber pellet nut mix snacks and it was a good transition for him to eating pellets (he was on a seed diet and the breeder). My vet recommended Harrisons.
c.hack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Postby HeartHaze » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 am

so it's either Harrisons, Roudybush, or Lafeber. thanks a lot guys :) :thumbsup:
HeartHaze
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby Rue » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 am

Roudybush comes out on top from most of what I've read. Harrison's is good (and has a loyal following!) but seems to have palatability issues for some birds. I'd try the Roudybush but it's too hard to get a hold of regularly around here, and I'd rather not buy by mail unless I absolutely have to.

I use Zupreem Natural (not the coloured stuff - I think the dyes and artifical components are unneccessary). Zupreem is very palatable...I was even able to convert my fuss-budget male 'tiel to it...when he was 18! :thumbsup:

My daughter used Kaytee crumbles - seems fine as well. One reason some people boycott Kaytee is because they also employ bird breeders - which some people liken to puppy mills...

I'd say that with the current research and quality controls, most of the top brands are quite good. If you then supplement with fresh foods, you shouldn't have any nutritional issues.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 am

Rue wrote:Roudybush comes out on top from most of what I've read. Harrison's is good (and has a loyal following!) but seems to have palatability issues for some birds. I'd try the Roudybush but it's too hard to get a hold of regularly around here, and I'd rather not buy by mail unless I absolutely have to.

I say Roudybush too. Both of my parrots eat it now as their main diet. It is a quality pellet and reasonably priced. For Harrisons you have to pay so much more but the value added is doubtful. Furthermore Harrisons is more prone to spoilage which can actually make the parrot sick.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lainmai » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I finally found a retailer about 30mins away from my that carries Roudybush. I know they advertise on the bags several sizes/types that suit a Sennie...but I'm curious to see what you guys use? My aby is on Zupreem with the breeder (colored, ick) but I'd like to convert my baby within a 2 week span onto Roudybush when I finally get him. My 'lets are loving the crumbles I picked up for them when they are mixed with their egg food & made into a paste - I'm hoping next week to start offering the pellets on their own and see how they take to that.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Rue » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:21 pm

It depends on your bird, as long as they can eat it I don't think it matters too much.

My CAG and Amazon eat the Zupreem Parrot and Conure sized pellets - which also lists Pionus on it. But my Pi prefers the little round Cockatiel sized pellets - so he gets those.

The budgies also eat the Kaytee Cockatiel crumble...no problem...

I have little to no waste either, which I appreciate.

I'd start with whatever size is recommended...then you can try smaller (or even bigger - but I imagine bigger means more crumbs/waste) if you think your parrot would prefer it...

BTW...when the pet store ran out of the Zupreem Natural...I tried the Avian Entree (natural pellets mixed with dried fruit and veggies) which costs a lot more...ALL the birds picked out the dried foods and only ate the pellets. Total waste of money...although you could argue for the entertainment value to the birds...
Last edited by Rue on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I used to feed Kili the Purina pellets she was originally weened onto. Since getting Truman I let her try the Roudybush and it took less time to convert her to them than Truman (she gobbled them right down on the first try). I give her Truman's pellets which are considered "medium." She does just fine with them and ignores her Purina in favor of the new Roudybush. It's easier for me to buy one size for both than two separate pellets/sizes.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet