Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best Pellet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Best Pellet?

Postby a.susz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:17 pm

i believe that as long as you can get your bird on a pelleted diet, then you are doing the right thing. just eating seeds straight up for a meal is bad because then fruits and veggies seem like a chore to the bird. some people also believe that a sprouted seed and fresh veggie only diet is the only way to go, but dont forget that birds get bored very quickly!! you have to give them enrichment and variety so they dont refuse anything.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 am

I just came here to see what ya'all are using for seed/pellets because I am almost out and need to restock soon. I do not know what brand what I have is, but the pellets are the fruity things and the seeds are well just a mix of seeds and other things in there.

I had run out of the pellets and asked hubby to pick me up a bag at pet shop. He did, but the size was tiny little balls, where he is used to the moon shaped or banana shaped ones and he loves to dunk them in his water and eat them, so I had mixed what I had left with the little balls and he never would eat the little balls. He is quite comical watching eat.

Water bottles do not work for him. He could not figure it out, plus he loves to dunk, so if I were to not give him a bowl of water, how would he dunk? I must change it 12 times a day though so he can have fresh, ice cold dunking water.

But, he really enjoys the pellets and picks them out of the bowl that I mix with the seed. He wastes so much of the seed, does he really need it?

Anyway was looking at Roudybush and Harrison’s, but I don’t think he will like them. He loves the fruitiness of the Zupreem. The Harrison’s and Roudy look to me like rabbit food and would not be enjoyed and it is too expensive to try and have him not eat it.

He eats whatever I am eating throughout the day anyway. NO YELLING AT ME AND I ONLY ALLOW HIM LITTLE LITTLE BITS, but he will sit on the outside of my cereal bowl and suck the milk off the spoon while I am eating, he loves loves loves eggs, he has tried hamburger, loves crackers and things like popcorn. I am not a huge vegetable eater and tried putting it in his cage, but he didn’t touch it. He loves watermelon or melon. He has a sweet tooth for sure, anytime I am sucking on candy, like gummies, StarBurst, etc., he pulls my face with his beak to try to get the candy from my mouth. He can smell it, I guess. I also tried sprouts. He threw them to bottom of cage and I’m a bit scared about whatever that disease is that people are getting from Sprouts. HE LOVES AVI CAKES TOO. And he loves Millet, but I hate millet. I give it to him sparingly. All he does is knock it all over the floor.

So anyway, I think I am going to get a bag of the Zupreem pellets, then try the crumble of the Roudybush, mix it in with his seeds and see how that works. I hate the huge waste factor. It barely seems he is eating any of it, but I guess if he was not, he would die, right?

Now that I made up my mind on pellets, now to decide which seed mix is best. I hate that the bags are so small. I wish I could find a nonbrand mix that somebody sold in any size you want, like you would used to buy millet in flea markets in Florida. They were not in presealed bags, you picked out what you wanted, etc.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby a.susz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:38 am

if you have him on pellets, then just do straight pellets for his cage meals, with a nut or two as a treat right on top. if you are interested you could give him smaller meals with maybe 10 pellets pre-soaked with juice or water so he doesn't have to dunk, caving you the hassle of changing his water so often, but then you will be changing out the food more often, so its totally up to you.

try to give him the least amount of seeds possible, and if hes not even eating them then don't get them. :lol: avicakes have a small percentage of seed in them, so that could be your answer, just let him get his seeds from the avicakes.

For the water bottle-- i started giving my sennie Peanut a water bottle when he was about 9, i didn't think he would figure it out, but sure enough he got used to it pretty quickly, and he knew the dish of water was for dunking, and that the bottle would supply his fresh water.

As for a new pellet, try just roudybush, i believe its the next best thing, and pretty soft so maybe you will have less dunking going on. Any pellet in my eyes is a good pellet and definitely a better diet than seed alone. if you crumble the roudybush you arent giving him a chance to have fun smashing it up in his mouth, it might deter him from trying the new pellets. keep them in full form. who knows maybe he likes both and you can vary his diet that way.

mix it up and keep your birdy interested is what i say!
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Rue » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Java: If he's on the Zupreem coloured, have you tried the Zupreem Natural? I don't see the point of the food colouring when the Natural is so well accepted by most birds.

Actually, I wish they'd stop making the coloured pellets...I think that's what's giving them a less than stellar reputation more than anything else.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Rue wrote:Java: If he's on the Zupreem coloured, have you tried the Zupreem Natural? I don't see the point of the food colouring when the Natural is so well accepted by most birds.

Actually, I wish they'd stop making the coloured pellets...I think that's what's giving them a less than stellar reputation more than anything else.

No, I haven't but do they smell lke the colored ones do. I really think it is the fruit that he likes, not the color.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:19 pm

a.susz wrote:if you have him on pellets, then just do straight pellets for his cage meals, with a nut or two as a treat right on top. if you are interested you could give him smaller meals with maybe 10 pellets pre-soaked with juice or water so he doesn't have to dunk, caving you the hassle of changing his water so often, but then you will be changing out the food more often, so its totally up to you.

try to give him the least amount of seeds possible, and if hes not even eating them then don't get them. :lol: avicakes have a small percentage of seed in them, so that could be your answer, just let him get his seeds from the avicakes.

For the water bottle-- i started giving my sennie Peanut a water bottle when he was about 9, i didn't think he would figure it out, but sure enough he got used to it pretty quickly, and he knew the dish of water was for dunking, and that the bottle would supply his fresh water.

As for a new pellet, try just roudybush, i believe its the next best thing, and pretty soft so maybe you will have less dunking going on. Any pellet in my eyes is a good pellet and definitely a better diet than seed alone. if you crumble the roudybush you arent giving him a chance to have fun smashing it up in his mouth, it might deter him from trying the new pellets. keep them in full form. who knows maybe he likes both and you can vary his diet that way.

mix it up and keep your birdy interested is what i say!

Thanks.

Does the roudybush smell fruity? I cannot tell by the packages that I found on line what it looks like. The crumble I meant was some companies sell a crumble size food, rather than those big chunks, so was gonna try that.
I am afraid to try anything but the fruity stuff. They smell so yummy and fruity.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 pm

All about what they smell AND taste like.

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... ot+Pellets

Oh and you have a Senegal!? My Senegal LOVES Roudybush. She switched to it on the first day and doesn't want to go back to her old pellets that she was weened on. Senegals eat like everything and I see no reason it couldn't switch to Roudybush. Just don't buy the new pellet when you've run out of the old one. Make sure you have 2-4 weeks of old pellets left so that you can make the transition to new pellet gradual if need be.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm

The PET shop I bought him at actually told me to only give him pellets like every other day and to take them out every other day, something about making them too fat. I could not remember what she said so just did what I thought was best, and she is doign fine.

I notice too, since he is out with me all the time, and has a bowl of food and water avaialable on my desk 24/7, that he waits to come out of his cage to eat. Silly litty bird. He seems to be only using his cage to sleep, which is when I put him in his cage (so I can go get some sleep) and he does not get eaten by the other noncaged animals.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Michael wrote:All about what they smell AND taste like.

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... ot+Pellets

Thank you Michael.

Congrats on the new bird. I didn't go looking for what kind of bird Truman is, so please forgive me, but what kind of bird is Truman. Looks quite a bit bigger than Kili. So cute.

I don't know that I could do more than one parrot. My little guy is quite interactive and wants all my attention.

If I did get one though it would probably be an eclectus.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Java » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Michael, you actually tasted all the different foods, LOL?
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet