Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is microwave food bad?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Is microwave food bad?

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Usually our alexandrine loves raw carrots but he will completely reject some bags. I have noticed the organic carrots and tomatoes (he only gets a few) very a lot bag to bag. Some of them I could eat a lot of and some are just weak? We have found the bags he isn’t crazy about he will eat if we steam them. I know it breaks down some of the nutrients but he seems to really like the hot food and only gets it about one meal a week. Is it okay to microwave a portion with water? I know some people say microwave food isn’t choice for humans and birds are much more sensitive in general.

On another note I know birds are not for every household but since sharing out home with Hephaestion my husband and I have become much more healthy. After almost a year of bringing tons of organic veggies and fruit into the house for him and incorporating it into our diets my husband is no longer on blood presssure meds, no longer pre diabetic and we have both lost 20 lbs. I’m sure a diet of bring nothing in the house the bird cannot eat would be even more effective as we still eat cooked meat and fish for dinner, but you have to start somewhere.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Is microwave food bad?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 am

:lol: Yes, healthier eating for the humans is usually a 'side effect' of sharing a home with a parrot. I eat fruit every single morning just because I need to share the bird's breakfast so I well know what you are talking about.

Tomatoes and carrots are both good for betacarotene and betacarotene does not degrade with heat - as a matter of fact, it actually makes it more available as heat 'breaks down' the walls of the cells! Tomatoes also have lycopene (excellent cancer fighter!) and, although it does degrade with heat, it needs to be over 100C (about 210 F) and for an extended period of time so, as long as you only warm them up (warm to the touch is about 110 F) them up, it's fine.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet