Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

TOPs Pellet dust and long time no see!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

TOPs Pellet dust and long time no see!

Postby jamun99 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:34 am

Hello everyone,,,
Long time no see, everyone! Becoming a legal adult crept up to me and I've been having some trouble adjusting, so hanging out on forums has been on the back burner for a long time. But I'm doing pretty well at the moment, due to restart College this September, so I'm back! Hopefully I'll be able to hang around a lot more this time.
http://tradevenue.se/
Since my last post I've moved out into my own place and the birds have come with me, of course. Peach and The Boys (Charlie and Rocky) live side by side and get along pretty well! No punch ups, no arguments, they keep to themselves most of the time. All is quiet in the house until 8pm when the singing starts!

The issue I am having concerns food. After much research I decided TOPs Pellets were the best food I could give my birds considering my circumstances. They definitely eat it, but I am left with a *ton* of dust after that they refuse to touch. Mixing it into gloop doesn't help either, they eat the bare minimum if I mix it in and are yelling at me come morning because they're hungry. I am on a low income and the pellets are very expensive, so I'm concerned with how much I'm wasting by buying it, especially given how quickly they go through the stuff.

When they don't get pellets they get a mix of soaking beans and pulses from Northern Parrots, some porridge oats to add gloopiness, and veggies such as green beans, sweetcorn, spinach, cucumber for crunch, and basically whatever veg we have in the house. I'm vegan so we have plenty of variety! They are picky when it comes to gloop so I have to put a small amount of seed in to coax them and have some seed for dinner before bed. I also have a powdered vitamin mix that goes in the gloop, also from Northern Parrots.

What would you suggest re. the pellets and has anyone else had this issue? I just don't know how to make sure they eat the dust, which must be a large portion of the overall weight of the product. I don't want to give up on it because it's the best I can give them reliably at the moment, but I need to be economical.

Thank you all! I'll be posting a few pictures of the birdies soon, they finished their moult a month ago and are looking lovely!
jamun99
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: TOPs Pellet dust and long time no see!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:11 am

Everybody who feeds pellets has the same issue, they all crumble into dust because they are super dry and processed to be kind of like a pressed powder. I do not feed pellets because after many years of research into parrots natural diets, I have realized that they couldn't possibly be the best dietary option for a animal that eats a super wet, entirely unprocessed diet of plant material. Why don't you try giving your birds gloop? It's healthier, cheaper, the birds love it and there is hardly any waste at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet