Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parakeet sick or mount?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Parakeet sick or mount?

Postby SamayAfzalee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:22 pm

So I got Fluff and Puff about 3 months ago and recently I realized one of my birds tail is really messed up and he can't fly however, the other is fine. Both eat and play and run around but I'm really concern about my one parakeet I do see a few pin feathers on both their heads and face

Here's a link to see how they look like:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yuKYDXL

Video:

https://imgur.com/gallery/PtRugTJ
SamayAfzalee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parakeets
Flight: No

Re: Parakeet sick or mount?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 am

Hi, Samay, Puff and Huff. Welcome to the forum. You are filming them way too close so it's impossible to see if there is anything in their cage that might be causing this. The bird does not look sick but the video is too short to tell anything because birds hide their symptoms until they are so very sick that they simply cannot do it anymore... It could be that the cage is not adequate, it could be that his diet is bad, it could be mites, it could be soft molt, etc... I thought I saw that you were free-feeding seeds and I did not see anything else edible in the cage but, again, we cannot see the actual cage in its entirety and I did see him scratching but the video was too short and on a loop... Also, I don't know where you are physically located but, in the Northern Hemisphere, we are in the middle of winter so no bird should be molting right now. Now, the cobalt bird you filmed is an adult but you did not say if the bird was already an adult when you got it. So, please, show us the entire cage, tell us about the birds diet and light schedule and whether you allow them to come out to fly, if the bird sleeps too much during the day, if it scratches a lot and, if you know it, the age.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet