Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sour smelling poop

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Sour smelling poop

Postby alwilder » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:44 am

I have a yellow shouldered Amazon and he is old. I kinda took the bird in along with a beautiful Female Eclectus. Well the birds were kept outside and attended by my girlfriend however as time went on I have a bond with both birds. I started keeping the yellow shouldered Parrot in my office. I am so busy at times I don't notice things right away but in the last few months his poop has become very sour smelling and everytime he goes he stinks me out. I was looking around on the internet looking for something to cover up the odor and learned that bad smells are signs of illness. What could this be.
alwilder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Male Yellow Shouldered Amazon, Male and Female Eclectus, 2 Quaker
Flight: No

Re: Sour smelling poop

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:22 am

Sounds like an intestinal infection, most likely fungal, but you need to take him to the vet asap for blood work with a fresh sample of poop so they can pinpoint exactly what is causing it and medicate accordingly. In the meantime, add some organic apple cider vinegar with the mother (best known brand is Bragg's) and some aloe vera juice (juice, not gel, and from the inner filet and not the entire leaf) to his water.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bodiegirl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 am

I have a 30y/o CAG I had recently bought new toys for. They were brightly colored wood-block parrot toys that I purchased from a parrot store. She chews them quite well! I noticed a short while after, that her poop was light green and frothy with a sweet-sour smell. Took her to her avian vet and had her poop evaluated. Vet didn’t find anything abnormal, as poop was normal for the visit. Removed what was left of her new toys and poop is now normal. Could be a coincidence, but plan on tossing the toys if no further problems.
Bodiegirl
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG & Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 am

Hi, Bodie, welcome to the forum! I would also throw the toys away - better safe than sorry, I always say. But, although dyes do color poop, I have never heard of a toy dye making it frothy or gave it any kind of unusual smell. As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember seeing 'frothy' poop. Poop that looks like Swiss cheese (kind of 'inflated' and with holes throughout) means gas (and some sort of a digestive upset not necessarily bad - bad -could be just not enough good bacteria in the gut) and, of course, poop that has no shape to the feces is diarrhea, poop with a lot of urine is from polyuria/polydipsia (which can be caused by liver disease, diabetes and many other problems) but I've never seen 'frothy'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet