Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will my parrot be healthy on this diet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Will my parrot be healthy on this diet?

Postby dtaylor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I've had my cockatiel for a little under a year. In the time I've had her, I've offered her every fruit and vegetable accessible in stores in my area. She's only a fan of squash, broccoli, and spinach thus far. Is this an OK mix to feed on a daily basis? I'll continue to offer other things, but I want to make sure her diet is nutritionally complete. Is there anything I'm missing from her current mix that I should try to sneak in? Sorry if this is a really newbie question. I'm new to bird care, and the person I got her from gave me all the wrong advice, so I'm slowly learning.
dtaylor
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: Will my parrot be healthy on this diet?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum and don't worry for one single second about any question/doubt you might have.

Now, tiels are not big on fruits. You might find one or two that would munch on an apple but it's not common. What they do eat without a problem are greens (they love leafy greens) and veggies as long as they are chopped or come naturally in a small size. I had a flock of over 30 tiels for years and they loved their gloop which is, by far, the healthiest option for them (and is loaded with veggies they eat) as you cannot free-feed pellets or seeds to them. You should look at gloop recipes right in this same section - there are simple ones all the way to the more complicated (which is the one that I make).

In answer to your specific question: squash (I am assuming it's not zucchini but the kind that has orange 'meat') is great for them because of the high content of betacarotene (the precursor of Vit A) and broccoli is fabulous (all kinds of good things in it) but not spinach. I never feed any of my birds spinach because it's way too high in iron which is not good for birds. Spinach is good for people because people need LOTS of iron in their diet but birds need very little and the excess is stored in their liver which, in time, ends up causing a condition called hemochromatosis which is fatal and has no cure for birds.

Try giving them lettuce (only don't use romaine right now because there is an outbreak of an e.coli contamination), broccoli-rabe, escarole, chicory, Swiss chard, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet