Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Converting to pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Converting to pellets

Postby ZZ.Z » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 pm

My bird is 6 month old, he is on a full seed diet. He’s very picky, would not eat seeds he doesn’t like in his seed mix, and only destroy vegetables like spinach and kale.

I’m trying to convert my bird into eating pellets(also vegetables) but the only time he will eat pellets is when he has been starved for two hours and above and there are only pellets in his bowl. (Pellets are in the bowl all the time) he will only eat a small amount every time he eats pellets. I’ve try so many methods I saw online and none of them works. I don't want to starve him, What should I do? Any suggestions? Thank you!
Last edited by ZZ.Z on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Front Conure
Flight: No

Re: Converting to pellets

Postby ZZ.Z » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:41 pm

He already eats those colorful small pellets in his seed mix but I'm trying to led him eat Top's or BirdtricksOfficial's pellets. I'm using Birdtricks pellets right now.
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Front Conure
Flight: No

Re: Converting to pellets

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:37 am

I cannot help you with this because I do not feed pellets to any of my birds. I've done research on parrots diets for over 25 years and have reached the conclusion that pellets are not and never will be the best dietary option for parrots... they are too unnatural, too dry, you don't even know how much protein you are feeding with them.

Now, this is your bird and it is your prerogative to feed it whatever you want to feed it but I am warning you that pellets are not good for lovies. They are not good for any bird, actually. Pellets are, basically, dead food (no phytonutrients) that is too processed, made with inferior ingredients (animal feed grade) and which is not as nutritious as a fresh food diet for them (because they add lab-made vitamins which are not as good as the real ones from food). I remember many years ago when I had my bird rescue and took my first lovebird flock from a widow whose husband had bred and shown lovebirds for years at shows (the lutino cherry head female was a three times champion) and the biggest recommendation she made was NEVER feed them pellets!

Lovebirds are actually great eaters if you know how to feed them right (I had a flock of over 30 of them for years). They eat all the veggies in the gloop and all the fruits and greens you give them as long as you time it correctly. They do not like pellets and I don't blame them because who would want to eat dried 'astronaut' food every single day of their lives?! Have you tried them? I have and it's like putting a compressed bit of cardboard in your mouth so considering that these birds are supposed to eat fruits, buds, leaves and green seeds, eating pellets must be done out of sheer hunger and not because they actually like them!

Why don't you try a simple gloop? It's really not that hard or even time-consuming once you get the knack of it, it's cheaper and healthier than pellets and the birds LOVE it. So, yes, it's a bit more work for you but that's the way it always is with parrots... you have to put the time and work into it for it to work out for both you and the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet