Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Turmeric!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Turmeric!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Turmeric!

Postby cstone01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Is this for birds or people? The store near me sells raw turmeric like ginger, how do you give it to a bird? I give Hephaestion small pieces of raw ginger to make his cage smell good. Does it need to be cooked to give it in pieces they way I feed Jerusalem artichokes?
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell

Re: Turmeric!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 am

In all honesty, I do not give my birds turmeric. Two reasons: they do NOT like the taste and there are problems with it. Turmeric has been used for centuries as a spice (think curry) and the chemical element, curcumin, in non-traditional medicine BUT it cannot be taken forever (some say no longer than 8 months, some say 12 months). It also has side effects like nausea, stomach upset, blood thinning, etc. So, although it has been found to be good for pain and inflammation (most of the other claims are not supported by science - at least, yet), I only have one single parrot which could benefit from it (she has arthritis in her feet and legs) and, as it cannot be given all the time and can cause more problems than the ones it would solve -for which I have alternate herbal solutions- I choose not to use it. I am VERY careful about what I give to my birds... one of my mottos with them is: When in doubt, don't! Because (another motto) better safe than sorry!

Also, there are two types of turmeric, the real one and the Javanese one (aka Java ginger) - and that one has not only different effects but it can also not be used for more than 18 weeks!

I give my birds ginger every week as seasoning (the powdered one which I generously sprinkle on the gloop) - they LOVE it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet