Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stunted or Petite?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Stunted or Petite?

Postby DYHWilson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 am

I have an import DYH Amazon baby around 12-13 weeks old. Name is Wilson (W). W is an hanfed incubator baby from day one. I do not know her sex. I have W about 3 weeks. When W came to me her weight is 320 g, 30-32 cm long and eat some pellets and 20 cc formula twice a day. W was already fledged and can fly when she came to me.
Now W is 335 g also and he eats half cup fruit and vegetable and some cooked beans and cooked whole grain pasta and wallnuts and some pellets. Also consume 10 cc formula at afternoon and 20 cc formula before sleep. Sometimes she do not want afternoon formula. Now W is fully flighted and love to fly and start to say her name. W is playful, eating, poooing, flying and sleeping well. Everything seems normal.
But her weight is under average weights of DYH Amazons that written on forums and websites or articles. I do not know her peak weight before fledging and start to fly. I am worrying about this weight issue. Is W is underweight or petite? Is W grow and gain weight more or stay at this weight and long?
DYHWilson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Stunted or Petite?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am

Hi, Wilson and keeper! Welcome to the forum. Birds, like people, vary in their weights. For babies, the important thing is that they keep on gaining so as long as Wilson gains, eats, poops, etc normally, I would not worry too much. Having said that, incubator birds always have issues (and this is without exception) and that's the reason why it's no longer done here in USA (I don't know where you are). The diet you are offering is not really good either. Babies eat soft food and that means a grain food, not beans, vegies or fruits. Pellets are actually not good for amazons because they all have too much protein in them and are way too dry. Right now, because you have a baby, the higher protein is fine and you can always soften the pellets by wetting them and making a mash out of them but you will have to rethink the diet once the bird becomes a juvenile.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DYHWilson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks for reply. What you prefer for a good amazon diet?
DYHWilson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 am

My four amazons eat gloop and raw produce for breakfast and a cockatiel mix for dinner during the winter and, in the summer, nuts with a bit of seed. But you have a baby and it needs two kinds of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day as well as protein food.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet