Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Indian Ringneck Feather Problems?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Indian Ringneck Feather Problems?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 am

Yes, the second option is better because moving her to another home will make her believe you are not coming back while, if she is where she has always being, she will wait. Couldn't you get somebody she knows to come and spend time with her during the day? Because being alone is VERY stressful to all parrots but even more so with aviary species. Believe it or not, my husband and I have not gone on vacation together for years and years because of my birds. The most we do is a short day trip.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby blackscell » Sun May 09, 2021 4:53 pm

Hi there, back again. My ringneck has been sort of bald for a while now. This is still due to the effects of PBFD. He is eating/playful and doing well.

Any way I can give him more comfort? He has an avian heater in his cage.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210509_231601 (1).jpg
thumbnail_20210509_231557.jpg
blackscell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 10, 2021 9:55 am

An 'avian heater'? I hope you don't mean a light because that would hurt her eyes and impede her sleep at night -which is VERY bad for all of them but particularly bad for sick birds. I only use heating pads on the bottom of the cages with some sort of material (like a towel or a quilt) draped over the top, back and sides (so the heat doesn't 'escape') and only the front open to light BUT this is for sick birds that need extra heat temporarily. For a bird that needs it all the time, I would use something transparent (plexiglass?) instead of the opaque material.

But for when she is out of her cage, how about a little sweater? Of course, the room where she is in must be quite warm even if she wears the sweater.

Poor thing doesn't look too good, does she? Please do not wait until the last minute to put her down. This disease does not only affect feathers and beaks, it also affects internal organs...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Pajarita wrote:An 'avian heater'? I hope you don't mean a light because that would hurt her eyes and impede her sleep at night -which is VERY bad for all of them but particularly bad for sick birds. I only use heating pads on the bottom of the cages with some sort of material (like a towel or a quilt) draped over the top, back and sides (so the heat doesn't 'escape') and only the front open to light BUT this is for sick birds that need extra heat temporarily. For a bird that needs it all the time, I would use something transparent (plexiglass?) instead of the opaque material.

But for when she is out of her cage, how about a little sweater? Of course, the room where she is in must be quite warm even if she wears the sweater.

Poor thing doesn't look too good, does she? Please do not wait until the last minute to put her down. This disease does not only affect feathers and beaks, it also affects internal organs...

It's the K&H Heater. Tbh I don't see any reason to put her down. She hasn't been showing any signs of pain, apart from losing feathers. Eats well, enjoys head rubs and enjoys being out of the cage daily. Her room is about 25c always. Then there is the K&H Heater in her cage if she wants more comfort. She will be 4 years old soon, even though she's had signs of PBFD at around 6 months old when I bought her.

Also the sweater, to me, doesn't seem like a good idea. The thing with this disease is that stress is deadly, and she is quite fearful for new things/objects. I am scared this will backfire. So as long as the temp is right with her, I think she does just fine. She also has spots in her cage where she can go hidden for extra heat/rest to reduce stress.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 12, 2021 10:38 am

No, if she is not used to being handled, putting the sweater on would be stressful to her so I agree that keeping the room really warm is the best option for her.

As to putting her down... well, I am not recommending you do it now, only that you keep it in mind because although the disease main problem is the beak and feather deformation, it does affect the immune system and this can mean infections that one cannot see - even necrosis of the palate. So, my recommendation is that you continue to keep a very vigilant eye on her and act on the first small symptom of a secondary infection because rapid onset of septicemia is very common with PBFD birds and it's a painful death. There are lots of people who believe in allowing the animal to 'die at home' but I disagree with this practice. The way I look at it is that if the animal has a fatal, incurable disease or condition and is suffering, the right thing to do is to euthanize it. I won't lie to you, it takes a huge toll on me every time I have to do it but I'd rather the toll be on me than on the animal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby blackscell » Wed May 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, daily cleaning is a must for a bird with PBFD. I thoroughly clean her cage and bandage her perches to keep them clean and avoid infections. It takes alot of time and effort, but it's worth it in the end. She's a strong bird :thumbsup:
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 am

I agree. She must be a very strong bird and must be receiving super good care because they don't usually last that long after diagnosis.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby blackscell » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:41 am

Unfortunately my indian ringneck has passed away today at the age of 4 years young.

I noticed friday she was not feeling well, she ate and drink but she was sleepy throughout the day and wasn't as vocal as before. I contacted every vet in the weekends but none were specialized in birds the earliest I could go was monday. Today she passed away in the morning.

I am very saddened, but happy she got to live her life even if it was short.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:43 am

Oh, I am sooooo sorry for your loss! Even when a death is expected, it still hurts a lot. But, I tell you, I give you super credit for how hard you tried to give her a good life - which she did have. Now, I know it's too soon but I do hope you would adopt a bird that needs a good home because you are obviously a very good, loving owner and there are soooo many homeless birds out there. Only please be careful, make sure everything is super disinfected.

Again, my sincerest condolences.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby blackscell » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Thank you for your kind reply. It will take a while to fully disinfect the enclosure.

Here is a picture of our sweet baby a day before she passed away. I was truly blessed to have her.
Attachments
thumbnail_20211106_033824.jpg
thumbnail_20211106_033824.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
blackscell
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet