Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poisonous fruits/vegetables

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Poisonous fruits/vegetables

Postby Lady » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Oh this is a wonderful list, Thanks Wolf.
As I have been observing Lady learning her habits, her likes and dislikes I am beginning to see that she is not cage aggressive and would describe her more of a home body. She doesn't venture out of her cage when I leave the door wide open. She will come out maybe once or twice when I leave the room, she climbs onto the top of the door and makes a fuss till I come back. Sometimes she will climb to the top to the play gym area but doesn't stay long as there is really not much for her to do. There are hanging toys and some foot toys but they do not interest her. I am thinking about putting her water and treats there when I come home from work.
I have been wanting a new play area (away from her cage) and was wondering about some of the bushes and trees we have on our property, we have planted them ourselves and know that they are not treated in any way. We gave both crape myrtle and crab apple. I know my husband could make it given a picture for good inspiration and some research as well. :perched2:
Lady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:40 pm

While many parrots just seem to have that innate desire to examine things and to go exploring, there are just as many that do not. Translation: You may have to teach you bird how to play wit its toys. So if you want it to play with them , you need to play with these toys and get your birds attention while you are doing so.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Lady » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 am

Wolf wrote:While many parrots just seem to have that innate desire to examine things and to go exploring, there are just as many that do not. Translation: You may have to teach you bird how to play wit its toys. So if you want it to play with them , you need to play with these toys and get your birds attention while you are doing so.

Oh this I understand, Lady has many toys she plays with, mostly while in the cage when she is amusing herself and when we are interacting.
Lady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:22 am

Just bumping this up as it is getting harder to find.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JordanWalker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm so glad I found this post. Thanks for sharing the wonderful list, Wolf. Now I know what are the toxic and non-toxic things for my birds. Thanks again for sharing.
I am the lead content curator for Coops and Cages as well as a couple of other pet related blogs.
My passion for animals is only matched by my love for 'attempting' to play the guitar.
JordanWalker
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Abyssinian Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Just bumping this back up.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Well this certainly is interesting news about the tomatoes.... I still am afraid of giving them tho because I've been brainwashed from readings. Pod will eat a little orange. But, I will never give him grapefruit ever again because it makes him have diarrhea. BTW, is popcorn okay? I always pop with veggie oil from plain kernals and give him a few before I salt it. He loves it and otherwise...I can't get him away from mine. My eleven year old rabbit eats it too...lol It is a household treat.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Popcorn is good and also makes an excellent treat for him, but it would be healthier for him if you got an air pop popcorn popper.
The grapefruit didn't give him diarrhea, I don't think, it is largely water and so it made him need to pee. Many people mistake this a diarrhea.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:19 pm

cyanide in apple seed,,,,,nice to know....:/ I like that this list tells why or what some harmful foods can do to a bird exactly...
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:51 pm

My birds eat tomatoes all the time and ruby red grapefruit when in seasons (no diarrhea). I don't ever feed parsley to my birds but not because it's toxic, it's not. The problem with it is the same as spinach and collard/turnip/mustard greens (I don't feed any of those, either(, they are too high in oxalates.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet