Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poisonous fruits/vegetables

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Poisonous fruits/vegetables

Postby Wolf » Mon May 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Great idea, I still have not found a better basic list, but if I remember correctly Pajarita posted another list that is good as well. Maybe she will put a link for it here.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I found some perches made of oak wood, today, and I threw them away due to oak being listed as a toxic wood. They were wooden dowels, so not good perches no matter what. But I was them told that peeled, kiln dried oak wood is not a hazard, as the tannins are gone.

Any thoughts on this?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 am

While, I must say that the majority of the tannic acid would be carried in the layer that lies just beneath the outer bark and that layer is generally removed during toe debarking process, there is nothing done to remove the tannic acids from any of the wood at any stage of its journey from being a live tree through the curing process or until it is sold for use. To my way of thinking, it then becomes a question of are the tannic acids destroyed by the drying process? I doubt it, as the temperatures used are not high enough. The process of kiln drying, as I understand it uses an increase in temperature to dry the wood, alternated with periods of cooling, during which the wood again draws in atmospheric humidity until the desired moisture content is achieved. Does this remove any of the tannic acids? Probably. But I do not know how much and that leads me to my final questions. How much tannic acid is toxic to our birds? I don't know. I also don't know if these compounds build up in a birds system and therefore, I am unwilling to take the chance with my birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 am

Yep, I am the same way: when in doubt, don't!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet