Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question for those in the know

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Question for those in the know

Postby Cedardave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

We are breeders.Regardless of your rescuenis better or not position, we are located in Canada where rescues are only available in the big cities .we are not in one.Our breeders seem to have stopped producing forbthe last while.Do you have any nutritional suggestions to kick them back in.There housing is large, well lit and air purified.Cages cleaned thouroughly and regularly.They get a reasonable amount of exercise and are fed a diet of harrissons,roudybush,rice,hempseed flax oats walnuts(sparingly) for breakfast.Afternoon snack varies to prevent bordom but consists of apple, cantaloupe, honeydew,grapes,spinich broccoli, kale and carrots.We suppliment morning meals with calcium to replace what our females lose in egg production.Our birds range fron a variety of conures, to greys to macaws and amazons.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Please no attacks.
Cedardave
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 26
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaws(2)Blue and Gold macaws(2)Calico macaws(2)Military macaw(1)yellow collared macaw(1)African grey(4)red shouldered conure(4)sun conure(2)Amazon(1)blue crowned conure(1)
Greater Jardine(1)Blackwinged Jardine(1)Severe macawMuluccan cockatoo(1)Quaker parrot(2)
Flight: Yes

Re: Question for those in the know

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm

May I ask how many seasons have your hens been producing?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Cedardave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Most ofour hens are around 15 years old and have produced for about 5 years.Some are a little younger and have produced less.They usually start around 5 or 6 years old.We dont force them in any way, just let natire take its course.I should add some have produced a couple times a season.
Cedardave
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaws(2)Blue and Gold macaws(2)Calico macaws(2)Military macaw(1)yellow collared macaw(1)African grey(4)red shouldered conure(4)sun conure(2)Amazon(1)blue crowned conure(1)
Greater Jardine(1)Blackwinged Jardine(1)Severe macawMuluccan cockatoo(1)Quaker parrot(2)

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

I can't say for certain but it is quite possible that they have used up the majority of their viable eggs. From what I understand four to 6 years as a breeder is about all most breeders get from them and then must replace them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 am

Where you expecting them to produce eggs this time of the year? Or is the question because they did not produce during the past breeding season?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cedardave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Just randomly asking if there were any food sources that assisted in egg laying and mateing.We had apair of macaws we recently got that laid eggs but they were not viable.We have been at this breeding thing a while and just wanted opinions to learn more.Not worried about when they mate. Just trying to gain perspectives of others.
Cedardave
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:17 am

Well, obviously, a bird that is nutritionally depleted will not breed but although breeding birds do require a richer diet than the rest of the year, as far as I know and do for my canaries, it's just a matter of upping the protein and allowing months of flight prior the breeding season -but then, my canaries eat a huge variety of greens, fruits and veggies all year round- as well as replacing the calcium lost in the eggshells after they lay. At least, that's all I do and my hens breed without a problem (all fertile eggs and all exactly on schedule with no hatchling mortality) but then, they are kept to a strict solar schedule so they only breed when they would in nature and only allowed one single 4 egg clutch every other year so as not to deplete them or wear them out in any way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cedardave » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Ours are kept on a tigh solar schedule as well.Both with natural light thru skylights and windows and full spectrum suplimental light set on timers.Our birds receive a diet similar to what you descibed, with the additions of some grains.The breeding cycle had stopped for some time ,however iVe noticed in the last couple days mt tres marias amazons have began to nest.Thanks for your help.
Cedardave
Lovebird

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet