Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sprouted seeds?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Sprouted seeds?

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 pm

I've heard so much about these sprouted seeds that have the best nutritional value in which to feed your bird. I have a 7 month old Rock Pebbler (Regent Parrot) and it's hard to find anything online about their specific diets. I'm wondering if these sprouted seeds would be a good decision to feed my bird and if so, where can I find them and go about feeding them to my little guy "ie" sprouting the seeds and amounts given at what times and with what???????? Right now she has a mix of green beans, broccoli, cranberries, apples, carrots in the morning....sunflower seeds, pistachios, almonds and sometimes dried fruit for treats in training throughout the day and Harrison pellets in the evening. Is this a good diet for my bird or should I definitely look into these sprouted seeds...thanks
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Regent parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Sprouted seeds?

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am

I recently asked some questions about sprouts myself and they are good for them, but it appears that as with many other thing that are good for them they are only good if given at the right time of the year and in this case that is during breeding season. They can contribute to problems at other times.
Your bird still needs to have cooked whole grains added to its diet in the morning.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Hookturn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Why are they only good during breeding season? Do you know what other types of problems occur if fed at other times? I'm interested in sprouting also. Thanks for the help!
Hookturn
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:26 pm

While it is true that for us they are much more healthy and they are good for the bird in the fact that sprouting reduces the fat content it also increases the available protein which can cause problems in the same manner that any other high protein food does. And the time that they need the higher protein is during breeding season and then drop back down to a low protein diet.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 am

Wolf is correct. When in doubt, go to nature. What are sprouts? Seeds that started germinating but haven't yet quite made it into a plant. When do you see seeds sprouting in nature? In the spring or after the rainy season. When do birds breed in the wild? In the spring or after the rainy season. Voila - your answer! Now, don't misunderstand me, if you have a sick bird, a bird that has been starved, an out of season breeding bird, then sprouts are good regardless of the time of the year but for a healthy bird which has its endocrine system attuned to the seasons as it should, sprouts are best reserved for the time of the year when the bird would eat them in the wild.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet