Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Itchy Senegal...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Itchy Senegal...

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 am

Oh, I believe you! I know how I feel every time one of my animals is sick so I can well imagine what you are going through. But one thing I have learned is that people (and I include myself here) don't usually realize how very resilient and pragmatic parrots are... One sees them small and so very light that it seems that a hard wind would finish them but it's not true, they are actually quite hardy. My very first rescue was a female RedLored I called Pretty Bird because she never answered to her name, Pistachio. She came to me with crooked legs and, for years, I would mention this to the vets seeing her and they all said it must have been congenital - until I moved to Pa and brought her to Dr. Jodie Santore who treated exotics and was, so far, the best avian vet I've had even though she was not board certified. When I told her about her legs, she decided to take XRays and found out that her 'congenital' defect was actually that both legs had been broken when she was a baby. One of them had healed crooked and the other one had never healed, leaving her walking on her broken bone (it was a displaced fracture) moving and rubbing inside her leg. She had to go through an operation where they shaved the ends of the two parts of the bone to align them, then she had a metal rod attached to the bone and an external fixator put on (this is when they put metal rods going into the flesh and the bone and held in place with an exterior metal frame). I had to take her to the vet every week for XRays to make sure the bone was knitting, then after 8 weeks, she had surgery again to remove the steel rod from the bone and the fixator, and her leg put into a cast which was removed weeks later. As you can see, the whole thing was INCREDIBLY stressful and painful for her but she came through like a champ.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 am

I took her to the vets on Thursday, had a good chat with the vet. We talked about toxicity levels, basically my vet explained that 70 or 80 (not sure what the unit is) kills them stone dead,

Unfortunately my parrots level was at 30. Not enough to kill her but enough to make her life hell. He explained he reviewed the situation with the liver and decided to take chelation off the table as it would have probably killed her anyway.

It wouldn't have worked for other reasons too, the last week she was only eating treats, Her normal parrot food was only being used to throw frantically over her back to relieve whatever itch-like symptom she was feeling, she was sleep deprived and screaming in distress, biting my face as if to say 'help'!.

My vet said the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep as she has suffered enough so we did.

She's resting in peace now.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:07 am

Well, putting them down is the hardest decision we need to make but, unfortunately for us, it's one that needs to be made. I am very sorry for your loss and I am even sorrier we couldn't help you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 am

You did help, every time you took time out of your day to post a message of advice so thank you
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby rakhuuok » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 am

I'll be totally honest, even if the vet gave me 100% success rate I'd still be unsure about injecting a small bird over 10 times in 12 days. He warned me that this treatment is highly stressful especially for a phobic bird.

[url="https://panoramacharter.ltd/"]charter spectrum login[/url]

[url="https://19216811.bid/attwifimanager/"]attwifimanager[/url]
rakhuuok
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby kusalmed » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:14 am

I will be asking the vet on Friday for an oral version of chelation, if not available I will also throw money at the situation by asking if he can visit me every day to administer injections but his receptionist warned me that would either not be available or cost me a fortune.
indigo card
jjsploit.click
Last edited by kusalmed on Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kusalmed
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:03 am

Ask him to do the 5 days of calcium EDTA shots and then switch to oral DMSA.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet