Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

URGENT- Pathology/post mortum

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: URGENT- Pathology/post mortum

Postby marie83 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Oh I do think there would be the odd person who would think "wouldn't cocos babies be the cutest" but I do think most home parrot breeders are doing it for an extra few £$£$ rather than for the experience. Like with backyard breeders for dogs. Mate the dog with anything, No health tests, cheapest kibble money can buy and sell as young as poss.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 am

True. So very true.

Yes the babies are unbelievably adorable. From hatchling to one year it is like watching a child change and learn new things daily. My cockatiels had babies. That was a good while back before I knew that they did not have to have them. I was providing nests boxes. Learning from this forum to not provide nesting material was wonderful.

They were cute but really wore on the parents to the point that they would shun them and let the rest of the flock deal with them. I had to rehome them to give the rest piece of mind. Instead of selling (I do not approve of selling little beings) I searched for their homes.

One spring Columbus was the only baby and was spoiled to the point of believing he was the center of the world. I could not find a home for him that would let him be that way. I took him to the last Southern States I worked for and talked the owner into using him for advertisement for the pet shop that was in the back. He was the center of the world there. People followed his voice and found the room. The owner and I agreed that he would not be sold. He is still there. They got him some friends and the place is really joyful. I did once a month check ups on them and they were well treated with plenty of attention.

I lost my train of thought and don't remember why I am posting this except after all this typing I am posting anyway.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:22 pm

We were talking about people breeding. I was saying that the strict rescue rules were for people who bred their pets and Marie was saying that there would be very few people who would do this but... here you are. And I know many, many people who bred their birds in exactly the same way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am

I did not intend to breed them. I just did not know how to stop them until I joined this forum. Since then Lola is the only one who laid eggs. She put them in the food dish. That was right after I got her and before she adjusted to the food and light. She still calls me at 5:30 am but the others are quiet until they hear me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:59 am

Oh, my comment was not meant as a criticism, Liz, but to make a point. I know many people who ended up with babies because they did not know how to stop them from doing it and because they thought they could handle a couple more babies. My first 3 tiels came from a co-worker at Societe Generale (French bank) who got a pair and in two years had over 30 of them and were beginning to inbreed!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:20 am

That's awful.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:25 am

Yes, it is but she was a real good owner, actually. She loved them to pieces, they lived cage-free in a room of their own, fed them right, etc. It wasn't neglect, it was good-intentioned ignorance.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby marie83 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:33 am

Sorry everyone. I wasn't saying it never happens but I still think there are more people out there who want to make a quick buck.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:12 pm

I think that there are many more that attempt to make a quick buck of their birds than most of us realize and that is not a good thing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:00 am

Yes, there are lots and lots of babies been offered in CL every single day - and from people who live in apartments or have them in the basement.... terrible!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet