Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stainless Steel Cages

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Stainless Steel Cages

Postby birdandora » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:10 am

Imgur link with the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Cbo1Lf8

Hello! I just received my first stainless steel cage (Featherland’s Ellicott Manor styled cage, for smaller birds like finches and budgies) and needless to say.. I have questions.

First question part A: is it normal for my cage to be like this? In the first picture, it shows these white marks(?), presumably left from wielding the pieces together. These white circular marks aren’t elevated like a lump, but they aren't sunk in like a hole. Is it safe for birds? My budgies just recovered from heavy metal poisoning a while ago and I’ve been trying to be super careful since then.

First question part B: Is that solder I see (purple circled)? At every intersection when a cage bar meets another cage bar, there’s this mound that’s white, or sometimes also has a little black in it. Does anyone else’s stainless steel cage have this kind of solder(?) to connect all the cage bars?

Second question: there are a few places that are a little sharp. What do you guys use to file down stainless steel cages? Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance again. :)
birdandora
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, four adorable babies <3
Flight: Yes

Re: Stainless Steel Cages

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for being so careful but, unfortunately, I can't help you. I don't have SS cages, just normal ones, so I can't answer your questions but I would assume that the soldering is safe. Metal poisoning happens with super cheap or very old, rusty cages as well as cages that are not made of 'cage materials' (like the homemade ones). My birds are now sleeping in old cages because we are waiting for spring to build their birdroom and even though the cages are old, I make sure there are no rusty spots. But, in all honesty, I think it's the fact that they are always loose that prevents them from chewing on the cages - they much rather chew on window sills or furniture :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby birdandora » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 am

Thank you for the welcome! Good luck with building the birdroom :) Be careful with them chewing on window sills and furniture though-- furniture might have germs and my avian doctor told me that he's had to do surgery or prescribe medicine many times on parrots that chew on the walls/window sills. Paint/wallpaper often contain heavy metals (according to him), and can do some serious damage.
birdandora
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, four adorable babies <3

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:27 am

No worries. I don't know where you are but, here in USA, paint and wallpaper glue are non-toxic and free of VOs and they don't really get to chew on the furniture, we watch them all the time plus, in truth, they would much rather be either sitting next to me or on me than chewing on anything.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby crawfordfriesen » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:09 pm

You say that makes me feel more badlandsecure about the health of my parrot.
crawfordfriesen
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to General & Off Topic