Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Napping?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Napping?

Postby cstone01 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Hello, I’m so sorry to ask so many questions but I have noticed a New behavioral pattern and want to make sure there is not a problem. We follow a solar schedule and I am aware that there is much less sleep hours this time of year. Our parrot has his cage open almost all day and free reign of the house which is been parrot proofed. He has been exhibiting a new behavior, he goes back into his cage on his own at about 1130 or 12 and naps until three Or 3:30 in the evening with his cage door open. He used to sometimes sit on top of the TV and take a brief nap, or on the headboard of our bed but never prolonged naps, he has never really done this before he usually wants to be with me. Is this OK? I know that behavioral changes are often a sign of sickness.

We have only had him for a year and a couple of months, he is four years old, a rehome
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Napping?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am

No worries, what he is doing is perfectly normal AND beneficial! Birds in the wild always stop at noon for a nap or a rest so, when you keep your pet parrot at a strict solar schedule and feed it right, it would revert to the circadian schedule that their bodies were meant to follow (and it takes a messed up endocrine system up to four seasons to become in tune with the seasons again so your bird is right on schedule - kudos to you! :thumbsup: ). ALL my birds stop at noon and take a nap - how long this nap is depends on the season. During the summer, when the nights are short and the days are long, the nap lasts longer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks for the response, I’m glad to know he is doing what he should be!
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell

Postby gloomybarrel » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:44 pm

I also had the same problem, thanks for your clarification. word wipe
gloomybarrel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1