Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pet insurance

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Pet insurance

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 am

I was wondering on peoples opinion on pet insurance, and if they have found companies that cover birds. My late cockatiel ended up with $3500 in bills at the vet and Am looking into the possibility of purchasing for hephaestion. Is an emergency fund a better way to go?
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Pet insurance

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 am

I’m doing some research and I found out that nationwide has a policy for birds, I’m going to call for the price. “ exotic pet insurance plan covers accidents and illnesses as well as examinations, lab fees, prescriptions, X-rays, hospitalization and more. We cover most birds and a wide range of exotic pets”
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 am

When you have young animals, insurance is a GREAT idea!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:44 am

So I called them and it’s only going to be about $30 a year! They have birds by category not by specific species so our Alexandrian is in the same category as a budgie. It is a 10% co-pay and a $50 deductible so I think it’s a very good purchase. $2000 maximum per incident, 7000 per year
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am

Sounds good! Does your avian vet accept this insurance?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:01 pm

It’s a reimbursement service independent of the vet, I called our usual vet (this year we are in a different state but will return to ky) and they said it is usually approved... I’m not 100% sure how they do this if it is 30$ a year and his annual check up is 112 with only a 50$ copay on our part but we will try it out.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah... the math doesn't seem to 'add up', does i t?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby cstone01 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 pm

For an update on this topic the insurance did reimburse us for our annual visit and they also reimbursed us for a probiotic supplement the vet suggested and sold us (I wouldn’t have called it medically necessary) and a nail trim. The bill was $163, they reimbursed us about $95-we only pay $30 a year for the insurance.

Mathematically it is a great deal for us, these are all routine expenses not even emergency care. I am slightly inclined to think that the company may have not smoothed out the math on their part yet as bird insurance is relatively new. Maybe it is a uniquely good deal because he technically a parakeet and larger birds would be more expensive to cover. I hope they cannot adjust our agreement in later years as we have already locked in our policy.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am

Well, you are not doing anything wrong so, if their actuaries did not correctly figured out the whole thing is "Too bad - too bad - too bad" (Precie Zon says this when I tell them to go into their cage :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Ethamor » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am

In our case, pet insurance worked great! We have two big dogs and a small one that we recently adopted. We don't usually have problems with them, but recently our dog has eaten one of his toys, and we had to take him to the vet. We had to undergo a surgery, and then he had to remain hospitalized for a few days. The insurance saved us a good amount of money. We got it from petinsurancereview.com, and they are excellent guys. Too bad we haven't got it earlier. In the beginning, we were not sure about the benefits of it, but once you are in trouble, it helps.
Ethamor
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to General & Off Topic