Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Animals as people

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Animals as people

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

I found this essay a bit too spiritual for my tastes and a bit weird but the premise is that animals are not the ignorant property of humans, put on this world for us to do as we choose without any regard for their rights. I've always said that in order to achieve a good, long lasting relationship with a parrot, you need to treat it the same way you would a person: respect its wishes, its 'person', its individuality, its rights, etc. And, in truth, I think the same way of all animals. This does not mean that I allow them to make all choices, mind you! I make choices for them because they are not in their natural habitat or have the skills they should have learned from their parents to survive - things like diet, the fact that I keep them indoors and not allow them outdoor free flight, that I do not allow breeding, etc but I do strive to make as little choices as I can and to allow as much decision-making as it's safe for them to do.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/03/03 ... as-people/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic