Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot Name Ideas

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Which names do you like best? (pick 2)

Ziz
8%
Zix
6%
Zar
6%
Zor
6%
Zuce
8%
Zeon
14%
Fizz
6%
Razu
17%
Saturn
3%
Truman
28%

Total votes : 36

Re: Cape Parrot Name Ideas

Postby Natacha » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:59 pm

Why will it take an extra week?

Oh and if you are going for absolute uniqueness, then I would stay away from Truman. I do love the name (don't intend on using it, don't worry) but it appears to me like a name that other people might think of (and I'm pretty sure I've seen one parrot at one point named Truman) versus a lot of the names on that list that definitively have a more unique quality.

I still think Truman is an awesome name for a Cape, whether other parrots share the name or not.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Ok, 100% uniqueness (especially with a short name) might not be possible and there's no saying that someone wouldn't copy the name in the future, but as long as it is quite clear that when you talk about say "truman the parrot" everyone is talking about this specific one. Kind of like Alex, Einstein, and Manzi (why are all the famous parrots African Greys :roll:). I'm sure Einstein and Alex weren't the only ones but they stood out reasonably well enough. Names like Mango, Skittles, and Birdie are insanely overused and that's something I really have to stay away from. I liked Zeus but there were at least a handful of parrots by that name which was a bit much. I kind of like the name truman better anyway. I think there is one monk parakeet out there by that name but not highly popularized or anything so it doesn't conflict too much. The problem with some of the other (more original names) is that they don't sound as nice.

Kind of a long story about the extra week but you'll be sure to hear more about it in my full review of the breeder. Let's just say it has to do with the breeder taking the time too long and then when time comes to ship the bird, being unprepared because of that. Bird is ready but vet results aren't and taking forever for final check (payment) to clear. :mad:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 pm

So basically the breeder was unprepared after all this time? That's not cool especially after letting you get excited about getting him this week.

I have a list of names that I have compiled for my birds and Truman is pretty high on the list. I didn't list any of my very favorites here because I like unique names and I didn't want to give away my favorites. I also listed names here that I really like but they aren't characters so I can't use them. (well, I could, but I choose not too, you know what I mean).

But, in any case, if you decide to use Truman I won't use it (though I'm sure other people will). I'm a bit surprised that you like it actually... it doesn't really fit your criteria and I'd think it would be way more common than what you would like. I really like Ziz or Zeus ( I didn't vote for Zuce because I don't like the alternative spelling). I also really like Truman for a bird (obviously since it's high on my list) and it would be a nice name for a Cape.

When and where will you review the breeder?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

pchela wrote:So basically the breeder was unprepared after all this time? That's not cool especially after letting you get excited about getting him this week.

Yup. I kept asking for months when the final payment would be due and she was telling me to wait. Then finally when she gave me the go ahead, I mailed it the same day but they didn't put it to bank till friday night. Now they want a whole week to clear the check. I've been rushing so much the last few weeks to make all final preparations, set up the cage, buy last minute things I forgot, make arrangements to be available Tuesday to pick up at airport, etc. And now after all that I have to wait a whole week more just for the check to clear. More to it, I'll share details later, but I can assure you I'm quite peeved.

pchela wrote:I have a list of names that I have compiled for my birds and Truman is pretty high on the list. I didn't list any of my very favorites here because I like unique names and I didn't want to give away my favorites. I also listed names here that I really like but they aren't characters so I can't use them. (well, I could, but I choose not too, you know what I mean).

But, in any case, if you decide to use Truman I won't use it (though I'm sure other people will). I'm a bit surprised that you like it actually... it doesn't really fit your criteria and I'd think it would be way more common than what you would like. I really like Ziz or Zeus ( I didn't vote for Zuce because I don't like the alternative spelling). I also really like Truman for a bird (obviously since it's high on my list) and it would be a nice name for a Cape.

Oh so now after I came up with the name myself, you decide to tell me you never mentioned it cause you thought of it first. :lol: Why do you say it doesn't match my criteria? It's not a common human name, it is 2-6 letters, it's no harder to say quickly than other names we went through, it doesn't conflict with Kili, definitely interesting and somewhat original, it produces only like 4 search results on youtube if searched in conjunction with the word parrot (even unique names like ziz can produce 2,000 results even though no parrot by that name), and I definitely think it's a suitable name for a Cape Parrot.

At this point I'm definitely leaning toward this name but won't decide till I get the parrot. But in order for me to consider using it, I need you to be okay with it. I'm not comfortable using a name if someone thinks I took it from them (or if they intend to use it still).

pchela wrote:When and where will you review the breeder?

When I get the parrot and on the trainedparrot blog of course!
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Uh oh. We might have to set up a ring and duke it out over the name Truman! :P

Nah, as I said, if you want to use it, I won't use it. And it's not like I invented the name or thought of it first or anything. I just happen to have a list of my favorite characters with cool names and Truman is on it. Nobody can say you didn't think of it yourself.

As for the criteria, I guess I was under the impression that you wanted something that was so unique as to be almost made up or a non human name and I thought you really wanted something that was 3 or 4 letters. That's just based on the names that you came up with earlier. I had a whole bunch of names that I didn't suggest because I thought they might be too long or because they were human names. Again, I think Truman is a great name for a parrot and if you want to use it, go for it. It's not like I laid claim to it or anything and I certainly don't think you took it from me.

But, since we both like it, it just proves that it's an extra cool name right? :mrgreen:

As for the breeder, I'll be interested to see what you have to write about her.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby budgiebuddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:21 am

Hey michael. I was just wandering. Will you be able to take both birds out at the same time or do you think that they might fight? I also wanted to know if you have a special way to introduce or if you are just gonna put them together. I don't mean to sound like I am saying you are doing anything wrong. I just wanted to know what you are gonna do. I really like the name Truman by the way.
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:16 am

I'm not sure yet. Why don't you just follow my new blog and you'll find out as these things happen. I'll keep everyone posted.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Banksie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 am

^^^ I must confess I've been following the blog purely for the pictures. Those Capes both look adorable! I am excited for you!!!
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby budgiebuddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Michael wrote:I'm not sure yet. Why don't you just follow my new blog and you'll find out as these things happen. I'll keep everyone posted.

okay. Thankyou
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:13 am

i dont really like the name truman to be honest :o but hey its not my bird lol! if i picked one out of there it would be zar or razu
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic