Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

strange behaviour

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: strange behaviour

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:19 pm

makes much more sense and i have been working on this as i thought id try it out before writing back and even just 10 minutes made the difference, i can now walk up to the cage and not receive that dance lol,

thank you :)
lee ireland
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parent raised green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Anything that we can do to help. Thank you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:14 pm

thank you

when a parrot bites should i stay there and not make a fuss or should i move my hand away? i hear both sides to the story with this

thank you
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:32 am

As a veteran of many bites, I am not keeping my hand still waiting on the next bite. I am not going to make a big fuss about it but I am not going to encourage it either.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:45 am

The trick is to avoid getting bit. I know it sounds stupid but, in reality, it's perfectly doable once you know them and their body language. But, when I get bit, I exclaim out loud (you know, like OUCH or OWWWW) and tell them "Bad bird! No bite!", walk away and stay away for 5 minutes (by the clock). I think the very common and often repeated mantra of no reaction is the stupidest thing ever! It's not natural not to react so it's not as if we are 'communicating' on a bird's level by doing this because birds in the wild do react to a bite (they squawk and either fly away or retaliate). And whoever came up with the idea that it provides 'drama' that birds enjoy either thought that birds were stupid enough to confuse an exclamation of pain for an exclamation of fun (which they are not!, quite the contrary, they are excellent body and tone of voice readers) or that they are sadists which enjoy causing pain (which, again, they are not!, quite the contrary they are extremely empathetic).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby lee ireland » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:57 am

yes makes a lot of sense, tbh thats what i thought, seems strange that anyone would allow the bird to do that without letting the bird know its done wrong,

rocco had been snatching from my hand, i told him not to earlier and had seemed to sink in

iv now been hand feeding on the chair, he perches next to me and i offer treats for being good around me from time to time, talking to him but not overly doing it, i get on with work on the laptop... talk to family and talk and give treats to him,

he has nipped me a few times wanting a treat, i ignore and then offer a treat when he is good as i know this should sink in not to be so demanding lol
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby lee ireland » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:49 pm

1 more question should nibbling be allowed or not? I know they explore with beaks and he nibbles a lot, I think it's cute but I wonder if this can result in encouraging bites

Thank you
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:42 pm

I don't think that this contributes to biting in any way. Kiki, is always nibbling on me, she has been known to bite although she rarely bites anymore. She was a real terror with her biting when she first came here.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 am

No, it doesn't. In reality, this 'nibbling' is a form of preening which is only done out of affection. Granted that, sometimes, they 'nibble' hard on our clothes and end up making holes in them but it goes with the territory of living with a parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby lee ireland » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:33 pm

well thank you both for clearing everything up :)

i must say now my relationship with rocco has boomed, he now comes to my chair and has claimed the top right corner of it, i know also know what territorial behavior looks like lol, its very cute i must say lol

he gets very protective of his corner of the chair

but yes he now explores more and is not afraid to chill with me with no distractions of whats going on around him, so its going well so far, he still nibbles too :)

he now also flies around the room and skims my head when he goes passed, unsure what this means maybe he's trying to land on me or a form of playing

his out more now, i can even get him in the cage at will by luring him with a treat, i also say cage and he jumps back to his cage but then i have to lure him in,

he seems far more happy now, i know the signs of when he wants attention, when he wants to come out ect, i did a head bob today and he copied me

iv upped the treats and he now comes to me when i call even when i have no signs of treats, not all the time but still its something, iv stopped the training now however i have tried to get him to step up onto my finger once today, he placed 1 foot on my finger for a second so looking good :) il try again in a few days
lee ireland
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic