Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What brings you here?

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

How did you come across The Parrot Forum?

Word of mouth
1%
Invited
1%
KiliParrot Youtube
26%
Trained Parrot Blog
12%
Parrot Forum search
22%
General parrot info search
34%
Linked from other parrot site
3%

Total votes : 144

Re: What brings you here?

Postby Johnwild » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:25 am

oops hit the wrong button! :o
Last edited by Johnwild on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnwild
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo, African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Johnwild » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 am

Hi, I joined because suddenly my CAG has transformed into a meat eater! My hands being the meat and I want to learn how A. To deal with this properly, and B. How to prevent this from becoming a bad habit.
Digger and I have been together for 19 years. I purchased her from a breeder in Miami when I retired from the Fire Dept. She does not live in a cage, although she has two. One very large one and her smaller “bedroom “ cage. Over our years together she has gone thru some stages as I’m sure is a natural thing. I had her sexed shortly after I brought her home and at times thought maybe she’s lonely and needs a mate, but then I think I would loose our connection.

Recently she has started biting, I mean REALLY BITING, and drawing blood with each chomp. Today I was moving her perch closer to her gym so it would be easier for her to move around, when she casually walked over and attempted to remove one of my fingers. Now don’t get me wrong it’s not like over the years she haven’t bitten me, but now as soon as I get close to her she grabs the closest part of my hand and chomps down. Nothing but the season has changed, food, living area, etc. is all the same. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks. :gray:
Johnwild
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo, African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 am

Hi, John and Digger, welcome to the forum. This is not the right forum for your question so I will ask Michael to move it to the right one but in order to answer your question we need more information. What kind of diet does she have? Light schedule? Daily routine? Is she clipped or flighted? I have a female CAG myself (her name is Sophie, she is 20 years old and she is the sweetest thing) but I've cared for 6 of them and I am always surprised when I hear of a gray that bites because I've never had one that had an ounce of aggression in their bodies which tells me that she must be unhappy about something so, please, answer the questions and we will see what needs to be improved so she can be happier and not bite.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Mon May 04, 2020 1:27 pm

I can't find how to move it. Going to have to delete and repost somewhere else. Sorry.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 am

It's OK. OP never came back but, if he/she does, it will see that this was the wrong place to post this.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Savage Sturgis » Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 am

I was fortunate to know this forum through a friend. And of course with the skills and experience I have wanted to share it with everyone. And together seek more but detailed information
Savage Sturgis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Judcargile » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 pm

I have lots of experience with dogs and my experience with "professional" dog people is that they are full of crap and opportunists. I have developed a crush on the African Grey and hope to one day bring one into my family.

I would like to network here and learn more on how to properly care for and provide a safe and happy home for such an admirable companion. Forums are often good places to get insights on the good and not so good practices. It would help to see the reality and work of taking on such a responsibility!!!!

I would like to find the more ethical and experienced sources for looking at potential adoption.

One other hurdle to owning a parrot is up front cost. Sure, it takes lots of talent and time and money to raise parrots up to the point of being available; I get that; But, the prices that I see online are really, really steep!!!

I also would have to transact in person only. ONLY!!!!
Judcargile
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:53 am

Well, cost is relative. I adopt out without charging a single cent and rescues are really not that expensive. It's the people who should have never gotten a parrot in the first place and then decide to resell it that charge an arm and a leg. But, in reality, if you don't have to money to pay a rehoming fee, you will not have the money to take the bird to the vet because avian vets and anything they do is super expensive.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos