Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Postby aletheamartinez » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:50 pm

My name is Alethea and I just purchased my only bird, an 12 year old red factor Congo African Grey. She was with the same family all her 10 years until I got her. We bonded very quickly. She has started nesting activity on the bottom of her cage. I'm wondering what, if anything, I need to do to keep her safe and comfortable.
aletheamartinez
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: New member

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 am

Hi, Alethea and CAG, welcome to the forum. This is the right season for her to be hormonal and the only thing I would recommend is getting her a 'nest' and, if she lays, extra calcium and D3. I have two female CAGs and they are both hormonal and looking for nests. Sophie prefers cardboard boxes nested one inside the other in a corner of the room while I had to get Doobis her own cat litter box (the kind that has a lid) with play sand in it because she was going into the cats'. They love to chew and scratch the floor of the 'nest' for a few days before they go in and stay in for hours. Doobis already laid two eggs.

The ONE thing that you need to consider is her previous diet because if she wasn't getting enough calcium and D3, she could produce a soft-shelled egg and become eggbound. So, if her diet was bad, I recommend giving her a couple extra doses of calciboost and, if her diet was good and she produces a nicely shelled egg, just give her one extra dose AFTER she lays.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions