Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introduction

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Introduction

Postby JAF&Mak » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi, I'm JoAnne and Makena, my Senegal, is the Mak in JAF&Mak. He was my sister's parrot for about six years before she died. He came to me when nobody else would have him. As a first time bird owner at 78, I have really been struggling for weeks now. Parrot Wizard videos have been a huge lifesaver for me and especially for Makena. We live in Massachusetts, about 20 miles north of Boston.
So far, I've managed to get a very traumatized bird allow me to put my hands in the cage without getting bit each time. I started target training and was delighted to find that he has done it before, somewhere in the past, probably not with my sister. The funny little guy will make the clicker noise himself if I'm not quick enough to suit him! Step up will take a while, as he was never handled like that.
Wish me luck on this adventure!
JAF&Mak
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: Introduction

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:50 am

Hi, JoAnne and Makena, welcome to the forum! Thank you so much not only for taking him but also for the time and effort you put into trying to make his life better. Now, just a little comment: I only put my hand inside a cage to clean it when the bird cannot come out due to a physical disability (I have a female Double Yellow Head that cannot use her legs and feet normally) or, when a brand new one is too afraid to come out on its own (and, in this case, I usually put them in a cage where you can put the food and water in it from the outside). For 'normal' birds, I always wait until they come out on their own even if it takes hours and I end up cleaning that cage in the afternoon. Try opening the door to the cage at dawn and wait for him to come out on his own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Introduction

Postby charliejone » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 pm

Good luck on the wonderful adventure with Makena, JoAnne. Your love and care are invaluable,Buckshot Roulette and I'm confident that your journey together will be filled with beautiful moments.
charliejone
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions