Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing myself!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Introducing myself!

Postby squawktalkny » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi! Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself - my name is Camryn and I am from Northern NY. I am 23 years old and have around 10 years of experience with parrots. My very first bird was a parakeet bought at a pet store but I have fostered and rehomed multiple parrots in the past 5 years as well as adopting a few from an avian rescue out of VT. I currently have 2 cockatiels (Lucky (M) & Gidget (F)), an Indian Ringneck (Tupalo-F), a Quaker(Monk) Parrot (Meeko-M), and a blue & gold macaw (Abba-F). I would like to work on training my parrots as almost all of them are cage aggressive and want to bite. They were not hand-tamed before coming to me and I'm hoping that it will be possible to handle them soon! :macaw: :monk: :irn: :greycockatiel:
~ Camryn Peets
squawktalkny
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Blue & Gold Macaw, Quaker Parrot, Indian Ringneck Parrot, Cockatiels
Flight: No

Re: Introducing myself!

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:31 am

Hi, Squawk and flock, welcome to the forum. First of all, thank you for fostering and rescuing instead of buying babies. Secondly, I am sorry you are having issues with your babies but, in my personal experience and opinion, cage aggression is not a result of birds not being hand-trained. As a matter of fact, I don't think that any well-adjusted hand-fed parrot needs to be actually hand-trained as I see their willingness to come to our hand as a direct result of their trust in us. Now, quakers, no matter how much they trust and love us will always be a bit cage-aggressive when they are in a mate-bond relationship but the other species you mentioned only do it if they are overly-hormonal and spend enough time in the cage so as to believe that the cage is their nest. Now, personally, I never ask any of my parrots to step up from inside the cage. I only have one single bird that lives in a cage and I've never asked her to step - and I never will because she has severe physical as well as emotional issues (it will be a year mid-December since she came here). The other four birds (Zeus M YNA, Prrecie F YNA, Sophie CAG and Mookey M Nanday) have cages but they are opened when the sky first gets the merest sliver of light and closed when they go to sleep except for Sophie which is always loose. The others live cage-free in the birdroom. I would suggest you re-evaluate their light schedule and their diet because, except for the IRN, they are all long-day breeders and should not be hormonal at all this time of the year.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions