Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Which species is right for me?

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Which species is right for me?

Postby AndreasK87 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:34 am

Hello everyone.
Me and my wife have been thinking of getting a companion bird for the last few years. We have done a lot of research as well, but are still not sure what species we should get.
We kept a friend's Orange Winged Amazon for 5-6 months and it was lovely. She was very sweet, and we loved having her. She didn't like me much most of the time, but loved my wife. She was loud a couple of times a day when she contact called, all the other sounds she made were mellow and sweet. I see though how much capable she or another orange winged with a different character would be to get us in trouble with neighbors, so we would be very hesitant to get an amazon.
Also, my dream birds are African Greys, but we have to go to work 8 hours a day and plan to have a baby in a few years and these two factors seem to be too much for Greys according to all I have read. I talked to a rescue as well and the guy was very nice, and seemed to like me, but was kind of dismissive of me getting an African Grey because I am notb home all day.
So getting to the options we seem to have, I like quakers a lot, and green cheek conures. I prefer quakers as they are bigger birds. I don't mind birds that can be loud sometimes, and I know they will, but I had a budgie that I loved to death, and he mumbled all day while pushing his toy all around the floor, and I would rather not have that. I honestly preferred the amazon's two three times a day contact call than the 8 hour chatter. That is why I didn't mention cockatiels. And pretty and smart Senegals seem to be a 1 person bird.
So which option do you think is better for us? We dont really care if it talks and how many words and stuff like that. We are looking for a companion bird to hang out with us and be our buddy. Our concern is to get a bird we can harmonically(as much as possible, I know they are crazy clowns lol) live with and properly care for.
We will get the biggest cage we can find, as it seems a challenge to get a huge cage with proper smaller bird bar spacing for some reason and we have looked into diet, avian vet, insurance, uv lighting etc.
I know my post is broad, I hope you have some advice and suggestions. Thanks for reading my long post anyway.
AndreasK87
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Which species is right for me?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:45 am

Hi, Andrea and wife, welcome to the forum and thank you for doing research before you decide on the bird.

Now, let me clarify a couple of things that, going by what you wrote, seem to be misinformation. First of all, ALL parrots are one person bird. The easier ones in this respect are aviary species because they simply do not bond too much to any human. Secondly, they can all be pretty loud and, although I absolutely ADORE quakers (we have them in my country of origin and I think they are one of the smartest parrots), they are LOUD and, although not all of them, they do tend to vocalize very often (they even scream when they fly, something most species don't). Third, they all need company during the day. It is true that grays are more sensitive to loneliness but no parrot is ever happy all alone for hours and hours. In my personal experience (I've care for, literally, hundreds of parrots), the ones that do better alone (because they tend to be more independent in comparison to other species) are adult Amazons (not babies because, like humans babies, they need somebody home all day long for a few years until they reach maturity). I would not recommend getting a male as they will turn aggressive under the wrong diet and light schedule, healthy adult hens tend to be sweet (and they are BIG talkers and singers, too :D ).

So, that's my recommendation to you: an adult, female Amazon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions