Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Potential New Bird Mom

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Potential New Bird Mom

Postby Beenanas » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:33 pm

Hi! I have always loved birds and I feel I am finally ready to add one to my home. My mom and I share a house and have 2 small dogs and a super senior cat. The issue I'm having is picking the right bird for me. I've had ferrets and rats so I'm not a stranger to mess but since I know next to nothing about bird behavior, I would prefer one that tends to be mild mannered and can somewhat easily be hand tamed. Any recommendations?
Beenanas
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Researching for future ownership
Flight: No

Re: Potential New Bird Mom

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:50 am

Hi, Beenanas and thank you for doing your research before you make a decision. Now, let me clarify something. When you talk about 'taming', you are talking about the work and time you put into a parent-fed bird to trust and, possibly, love you but hand-fed birds are already 'tamed' because they have imprinted to humans. The only species that are not usually hand-fed are the aviary ones -this is mostly because they are small and, as such, difficult to handfeed, it is not worth it to the breeders because it's a whole lot of work and they can't really get much more money for them, and because it's pretty futile to do it as they never really bond deeply with humans and, once they hit sexual maturity, they are never truly happy without companions of their own species. People that have a single aviary species as a lone pet will argue this is not true, that their bird loves them but what they don't take into consideration is that these birds are simply trying to make the best out of a bad situation and that they will take to being with others of its own species like a fish to water if only allowed to do it. If you look at the postings for the small birds that fly away, it's always little birds that were all alone - birds that have a mate and have a good life (light schedule, good diet, plenty of flying time, etc) will not normally fly away. So, when you say that you want a 'tame' bird, I assume that you are thinking of getting a companion species and not an aviary one (like budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, parrotlets, etc) that really require taming. But, if you were, I would recommend a male/female pair of cockatiels because they have, by far, the sweetest temperament, they do not ever scream when kept in pairs, they are easy to feed and care for, they are beautiful and smart, can have a good life in captivity and they are not that hard to tame.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Potential New Bird Mom

Postby welshgym » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Their birds adore them, but they fail to recognize that these birds are simply trying to escape a bad situation, and that if given the opportunity, they will live with other birds of the same species as fish in water. However, you must create an environment in which they can live comfortably and happily.

basket random
welshgym
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions