Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello!

Postby SeaSong » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm

I used to own a Albino Parakeet who was rehomed to me at a unknown age. I had her for a few years until she died on Valentine’s Day, about 4 years ago. I had never done research when I had her and she was untamed but always seemed to be thriving: so I was quite impacted when she passed.

I have decided to get another parakeet: this time doing hours of research.
I am planning to get two, and was hoping to have my plan checked over and approved. This is what supplies I have:

• I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Rollin ... 889&sr=8-5 cage... is it big enough to house two birds comfortably? They will of course be allowed out of their cage once tamed.

• I have Parakeet seed food— but will be transferring them slowly over to a diet of pellets and fresh produce.

• I have a galore of parakeet toys: Bells, wood toys, mirrors, perches, the like.

• Two sets of food and water “bowls”

• a sheet to cover the cage.

Is this a good set up for two parakeets?
And if I got a male and a female would they get along nicely?
The reason I want two is so they won’t become lonely when I’m gone.
SeaSong
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet/Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for doing research AND for planning on acquiring (please adopt) a male/female pair -which will not fight, I promise you!

Now, that cage is no good. There is no room for them to fly and, believe it or not, the smaller the bird, the larger the cage needs to be because they are super flighty. Look for a flight cage that has horizontal space as well as vertical (the cage you were thinking of has not enough horizontal room). I have seven budgies and they live in a cage that is 6 ft high and 3 ft wide and deep. And you don't need to tame them to allow them to come out of the cage, if you time things right, they will go back to it on their own (mine do and none of them are tamed).

Seeds are better than pellets when it comes to budgies but whatever protein food you decide to feed, it needs to be given only for dinner because no protein food can be free-fed (it destroys their liver and kidneys and kills them before their time). My budgies eat gloop with raw produce (mostly leafy greens but they do eat some veggies like cucumber, corn on the cob, squash, carrots, etc) for breakfast and all day picking and half a teaspoonful of budgie see each for dinner. This diet, plus a multivitamin/mineral supplement given twice a week keeps them healthy (I also add liver and kidney cleansers to the gloop and some liquid non-alcoholic milk thistle extract to their water on the days they don't get the vitamins in it because one of them came to me with an overgrown beak indicating advanced liver malfunction but it doesn't hurt the young and healthy ones, either).

My budgies don't play with toys at all but they do love to chew the dry yucca medallions so they get them all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions