Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Love birds & biting

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Love birds & biting

Postby Gabar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello everyone,,
i'm Gabar. I have been hand feeding my first clutch of masked lovebirds. They are all going well and are just starting to fly. I have learnt a lot from the internet - it has been a huge help! I've also started doing some training with the eldest. I have trained it to fly to me on the command 'step up'. We are still working on stopping them from biting. Have tried a couple of things like saying 'no' in a stern voice however this seemed to encourage it. Does anyone have any tips??
Thanks,..
Last edited by Gabar on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gabar
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Love birds & biting

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 am

Welcome to the forum! I am afraid that you are shooting yourself in the foot, my dear. I would not advise anybody to actually use the internet as a good source of information unless you are very good at doing research (it's much harder than it seems because there is so much wrong information out there) and do not go to bird sites but use only scientific sources. The reason I say this is that you are handfeeding lovebirds (which is pretty useless) and trying to train them something that aviary species don't do well with (way too stressful as they are too flighty and have a very fast metabolism so you can't have them hungry for the reward PLUS they don't bond deeply to humans once they become sexually mature - essential for good training) but, aside from that and even if we were talking about companion species, only adult birds should be trained, never babies, and juveniles only very sparingly and in an opportunistic sort of way (meaning no formal sessions but using what the bird decides to do for it). Your training is not even going very well right now (babies never bite unless pushed to it) and it will backfire even more once they reach two years of age.

If your interest is only in training, you need to rethink your expectations or get a companion species and wait until it is of age. People have learned that animals, like children, need to be of a certain age before you start formal training and that's why dogs are never trained before they are 7 months of age, horses before they are 1.5 or 2 years old or children start real school before they are 6. Unfortunately for the birds, they are such a 'modern' fad that is not yet registered that it's the same for them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions