Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to birds in Oregon

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New to birds in Oregon

Postby Wanhedaking » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:07 am

Hello everyone,,
I'm considering getting a bird soon. I know a bit but I still have a lot of research to do. Right now my biggest question is this:

I live in an RV trailer in my mom's yard and the bathroom is not hooked up, so that's where the cage is going to be. It's plenty room for a cage, but I need to know if they make cages that I can take apart and set up again as the door itself is small. If not I can probably keep the bird in my mom's house as she seemed pretty okay web design services los angeles with that idea and we have a lot more room in there, but I'd prefer to keep it in my house because I'm awake while she is sleeping and the bird and I will wake her during cleaning and etc. I won't be able to remove the cage once it's set up in the bathroom but I'll be able to put it in the shower for cleaning, just won't be able to use the shower itself. So, is this possible? Can you recommend me some brands? Also I'm looking at birds in the cockatiel-conure size range, and I'm leaning toward a tiel since I'm a new bird keeper. I should also note that I intend to let the bird have freedom while I'm awake and home (~2 hours every night and all day on thurs, sun and mon). Tips about keeping mess up as much as possible and keeping the bird from chewing my computer wires would be helpful as well. Wondering if bird diapers are a good idea or not. Thanks!

edit: Also bird species recommendations would be really helpful! I'm a huge fan of eclectus parrots but that's a plan for the future, not immediately, but maybe you could give me some ideas for easier and smaller birds that are similar appearance wise? I'm looking for something that will be interactive and maybe talkative.

edit 2: since my space is still pretty small and will be mostly taken up by the cage I will measure it in a bit and give you guys the measurements so you can help me better.
Last edited by Wanhedaking on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanhedaking
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: New to birds in Oregon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 am

Hi, Wan and thank you for doing research before you get the bird!

Now, I don't know how big the bathroom in the trailer is but the ones I've seen (not many) were pretty small... See, the thing is that although the cage might fit, it will be claustrophobic for the bird. Birds don't live in houses, the sky is their home so putting them in a small walled-in space does things to their brains. There is a very good reason why cages have bars and not walls and it's that the birds need to be able to see space all around them. I don't even uses dark colored cages because I think they are too claustrophobic for them.

The other problem is that parrots are highly social and need to be in the middle of company all the time - the bathroom will prevent this from happening. AND, to put the icing on the cake, it will be no or very poor natural light - and that's actually much more important than it sounds because birds are the most vision and light dependent species of ALL the vertebrates. Light determines their seasons and their moods.

Last but not least, you can't keep a parrot up at night. They need to wake up with the dawn and go to sleep with dusk and that means no artificial lights until the sun shines into the room or after the sun is halfway down to the horizon so, although artificial light is used, the exposure to natural light is essential to keep their endocrine system healthy and in good working order (research avian photoperiodism, avian endocrine system and avian reproductive system).

Now, as to the species... well, if you want a companion bird, it cannot be an aviary species (cockatiels are aviary) so it would have to be a conure but you need to take into consideration noise because conures tend to be loud. GCCs are considered 'quiet' and it is true that they do not vocalize a lot or very loudly (compared to other parrots, of course) but they are VERY needy so, unless you have many, many hours during the day, every single day of the year (because, to them, there are no weekends, sick days, vacations, etc), the bird will scream and scream. I adopted a GCC as a companion to the one I've had for years and this poor bird was all plucked, super high-strung and screamed and screamed all day long -she is much, much better now, doesn't scream, is calming down and is beginning to allow at least some of her feathers to grow back.

If you have your heart set on cockatiels, the ideal is to adopt a bonded male/female pair because they are happy even when you are not around and the male will not call incessantly for a female.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions