Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello!!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello!!

Postby jlr1516 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Hello everyone, I'm from sunny South Florida and currently acquired our newest member of the family "Elias" a Cuban Amazon. Elias is a beautiful, friendly and very tame parrot, I plan to start training him after he settles in to his new home. He steps up automatically and lifts his leg as soon as anyone gets near, since he was hand fed, I believe it's the reason that he is so friendly.

Jorge
jlr1516
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cuban Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello!!

Postby liz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

I found out a little late that lifting one leg means "back off".
I thought she wanted her foot tickled. To this day she will fly to me and ask for a "tickle tickle".

She likes men and has flown to them for a "tickle tickle". It scared the plumber.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Hello!!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am

Hi, Jlr and Elias (how do you know it's a boy?). Liz is correct. Amazons lift a foot up as a way of telling people to back off. Now, I don't know if this is the case with your bird, it might be it's doing it because it wants more attention (step up implies the bird being on you which they crave 24/7/365) but it is safe not to assume because, when you do and miss (and it is VERY easy to miss as we are programmed to understand mammals and not aves), the bird sees this as a reason to start biting (if you do not understand when it's telling you 'nicely', it will have to resort to 'not nice' to get its point accross. Most parrots bite because people misunderstood what the parrot was telling them not to do...

You did not say how old the bird is and a certain age is a requirement for training as you should not train babies and only just a little bit with juveniles. Be careful about that. Parrots are not puppies and even puppies are not trained until they are juveniles themselves. With parrots, it works fine at the beginning and ends up backfiring big time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions