Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New member to this forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New member to this forum

Postby PetterJhon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 pm

Hello everyone
I have a quaker parrot :monk: which I think is around 4 -5 months. I know this is a crucial time to establish manners and training and need to share experiences. He steps up very willingly and has laddered well but showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ seems to have decided it's boring.
I am sure he is talking but the words are so jumbled and grumbled it's hard to tell.
At the moment he is very social and loves visitors. I'm hoping this will continue as I live alone and I need to have him looked after if I go away anywhere.
I read that they are very noisy but compared to the roosting cries of my previous lorikeet (and all the wild lorikeets and cockatoos outside) he is very quiet. We had one night where he decided to let all the birds outside he was here.
Cheers....
Last edited by PetterJhon on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PetterJhon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Re: New member to this forum

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

Hi, PetterJohn and quaker (no name? and how do you know it's a male?). Welcome to the forum!

Now, laddering is a no-no, my dear. It's considered a flooding technique (especially for a baby, like you have) and it hugely backfires so I strongly suggest you stop this immediately. Now, you can't start training sessions until the bird is a juvenile (yours is still a baby) so you will need a little patience on this but that doesn't mean the bird is not learning. They are like children, they don't go to school to learn until they are 6 years old but they learn all kinds of stuff before that and so do baby birds. As you stated, he already steps up when asked (and that's one thing he has already learned), you can also teach him to step down and other things by simple repetition and praise when he does them -like coming to you, for example, which is the precursor to teaching them recall. Aside from this, he will learn to master flight (flight is instinctive but they need practice and exercise to develop landing, turning, stopping on a dime, etc techniques and to strengthen their muscles), the lay of the house, the schedule, the routine, to eat new things, etc. I urge you NOT to rush training. It stresses the bird something terrible and, in truth, it doesn't even benefit you or the bird. Years ago, people were all for teaching little babies from cards and these babies could recognize classical music, authors, famous works of art and their authors, even lots of written words by the time they were two years old and everybody was congratulating themselves on the IQ breakthrough of the century! But, by the time they were older, they did not only 'evened out' with 'normally raised' kids, they were found to be behind on social and analytical skills. There is a season for everything and, for a baby bird, it's the season for loving so love your little bird as much as you can (you need to spend many, many hours with him -baby birds are ALWAYS with their parents and siblings, never alone) and learn yourself about him (body language, right diet, likes and dislikes, etc) and establish a steady, never changing routine (essential for a well-adjusted bird).

Now, as to vocalizations... well, you might have the one and only quaker that is not a screamer but I doubt it :lol: They are loud and they like to vocalize more than other species - it's the way they are and there is no training them differently. Yours is not loud because it's a baby but he will. Now, having said that, this doesn't mean that he will scream all the time. They don't as long as they receive the care they need and that means many hours of freedom from cage, several hours of one-on-one, the right diet and, most importantly, a very strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk because they are not tropical birds, they come from temperate climate so they are VERY susceptible to the changes in the daylight hours. I have a turquoise female and she is the apple of my eye (don't tell my other birds! :D ). I love this bird to pieces and show it! So much so that my husband, who hasn't been jealous of my birds for years now (he used to be), is jealous of her! I've always had a preference for quakers and she happens to be super smart, incredibly affectionate, obedient, a great eater and a better flier and so very easy to take care of because she gets along with everybody and everybirdy. She does get a bit loud in the late afternoon but I was born and raised in a South American country where there are wild quakers galore and, to me, their screams are the sounds of home so they don't bother me at all (not that the other parrots vocalizations bother me either because they don't but my parrots are actually very good when it comes to that - even the cockatoo).

Now, tell us a bit about him (or her?). As it is a baby, are you feeding it soft food served warm and fresh twice a day? Is it clipped or flighted? What do you mean by 'teaching it manners'? What 'manners' would that be, specifically? I ask because people sometimes think that it's OK to toilet train a bird when it's actually harmful to do it or that some behaviors are either 'misbehaving' or 'undesirable' when they are entirely natural to birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby lovelash » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi,

I'm currently researching parrot care - reading the Parrot Wizard Book among several others and I plan to visit some local rescues soon.

I have a question about the feasibility of owning a parrot given my situation and thought I'd post on here to get people's opinions.

I live alone and work mostly from home except for typically a day and a half a week when I travel a distance (from North to South UK) to work in an office.

I have a couple of dogs and a brilliant dog sitter who takes them for 1-2 days a week. However, I don't think the same situation would work with a parrot - and I'm wondering if there would be a solution to this.

For instance, if I had a pet sitter drop in a few times during the day that I"m away to change water bowls and feed the parrot? My concern is also that the parrot would be likely cage bound for a single day, and wouldn't be getting the interaction and training from me, and this would be a weekly thing.

Thanks, 9Apps Cartoon HD VidMate APK
Last edited by lovelash on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovelash
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:56 am

Welcome to the forum and thank your for doing thorough research BEFORE you get your parrot.

Now, leaving a parrot alone for two days every single week is not something I would recommend BUT, if you kept a pair of them and were able to house them in a real large flight cage, having the sitter come twice a day to feed them (they eat breakfast and dinner) would not be too bad as long as she could stay for, say, two hours in the morning so they could come out to fly a bit. But don't get a baby because you can't leave a baby alone, adopt adults instead. And, if you could get a pair that is already bonded, you should have no trouble at all and they will miss you when you are not there but will not get anxious or depressed because they would have each other. It might take a bit of time to get the birds but if you are flexible as to the species and are patient and persistent in your search, you will find them - and you might end up paying for both of them AND their cage the same amount of money you would for a single baby!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby jaswantbro19 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:43 am

Thanks for such a detailed reply. My issue is resolved now!

Regards, get-mxplayer.in
jaswantbro19
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Return to Introductions