Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from UK

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi from UK

Postby Jess » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am

Hi there,

Just found this forum mentioned on another so thought i'd come and be nosey as I love chatting about my parrots :mrgreen:

My name is Jess and i live in Gloucestershire in England. Im 25 and have been keeping parrots for about 10 years now. I used to do a lot of rescue work including fostering LOTS of birdies :lol: but now I just have my own little gang. We have Sweet Pea the lutino tiel who is about 2 years old, James the grey tiel who is about 4. He was bought as a companion for Sweet Pea but she hates him! I have CJ the black capped conure who's about a year old and in November I saw an advert for a green cheeked conure being sold because the owners were having a baby :( I bought her and later found out that at 4 months old, I was her 4th home!! She cannot fly due to a mutilated wing thanks to some idiots DIY clip :cry: But she is very sweet. Her name is Lola and she is a blue yellowsided mutation :) And lastly is my black capped lory Ruby. She was given to me by her breeder and she is now about 8 months old. Talks constantly and is SO smart, i just adore her!!

As well as the birds I also have 3 dogs (labrador, pug and basenji), 2 hedgehogs, 2 horses and a chameleon called Dennis :mrgreen:

Jess
Last edited by Jess on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jess
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 2 cockatiels, 1 green cheeked conure, 1 blacked capped conure, 1 black capped lory.
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi from UK

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 am

Quite a flock there. Hope to see some pictures. Enjoy the parrot forum.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:54 am

Welcome! Sounds like you have a really busy house! Hope you enjoy the forum, sounds like you have a lot of experience to share.

That's so horrible what happened to Lola. I hate when a person's ignorance hurts an animal. At least she has a loving home now. I'd love to see some pictures of them all!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Jess » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am

Thank you for the welcome :) Here are some pictures of my babies! I love showing them off :mrgreen:

CJ:

Lola:

Together:

James:

Sweet Pea:

And Ruby...

When she first came home:

Today:

Hope you like them :thumbsup:
Jess
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: 2 cockatiels, 1 green cheeked conure, 1 blacked capped conure, 1 black capped lory.

Postby MandyG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

Beautiful! Ruby looks like a little red and black bird that got into some paint! They're all great looking birds, thanks for sharing!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Pola » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 pm

welcome your flock is absolutly beautiful!!!!
Pola :D
Pola
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple/cinnamon green cheeked conure- Tuppi

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Really beautiful birds! Welcome!

What did they do to that poor wing? Will it ever grow back?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Jess » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Thank you :mrgreen:

I took Lola to the vet when i saw how awful the wing was (previous owner didnt mention it!!) and he said there is certainly a chance it may grow back one day, but he is not overly optimistic. I will just have to wait and see I guess. Thankfully CJ is very considerate and doesnt ever fly away from Lola and leave her behind, he will wait for me to collect them both.

Here is a better pic of her poor wing. If im to believe what her previous owner said when i asked him about this, the clip below was done by her breeder, who is a very well known and respected conure breeder over here in the UK. Though, he has gone way down in my estimation when he seemingly could not care less that one of his babies had gone through 4 homes in 4 months :( He wasnt interested at all...

Jess
Parakeet

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Oh wow. That is horrendous. Who could do that to a baby bird? That sort of thing makes me really angry. :evil:

I will hope for your poor baby bird that the feathers will grow back and I'm glad that she has found a wonderful home now!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby miajag » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Regardless of the horrible clip, she's a beautiful bird. I've never seen that coloring before, it's very striking.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Next

Return to Introductions