Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fairly new to the Senegal world

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Fairly new to the Senegal world

Postby Josh's mom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 am

Hello there. I have 2 Senegal birds. First allow me to introduce Mercy who was hatched on 1/21/14. I bought him from a pet store, had him sexed. He is a male and we brought him home at 3 weeks of age. He is strongly bonded to both my husband and myself and is 9 months old today.

2 days ago we brought home a Senegal from a rescue whose history, gender and age are unknown. We are fostering this one with the intention of adopting. There is a strong and deep "V" on the chest so I'm assuming this is a male. Until we adopt we won't have this one sexed. I will refer to Zazu as male for now.
The reason I joined this forum is because this bird has drawn blood on me twice in 2 days! He acts as though my husband has been there from day 1. I'm assuming that he may have abandonment issues and only God knows how many times this lil guy has been re homed. The rescue said he was there twice and it is assumed he is between 4 and 6 years old.
I am in this for the long haul and would be so very grateful for any advice on how I can respectfully earn his trust. It is clear to me that he is brilliant and calculating. I do know that while at the rescue he had to be caged since he bit people there. It was also very loud there with much bigger breed birds in a small square feet home. Although the conditions are super clean and the lady who runs the rescue is in it for the right reasons. I'm trying to find out more about who and why he was relinquished. Any advice will be a treasure. He does seem to be an angry bird at this point. I do know that it was a woman who relinquished him. :roll:
Josh's mom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: Fairly new to the Senegal world

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

In all honesty, I think that your best defense is to learn to read the birds body language so that you can avoid most of the bites, but it is a simple fact of life that parrots bite. I think that the more time that you can spend with this bird just talking and offering the occasional treat the better as he will begin to associate you with good things and realize that you mean him no harm and are not a threat to him. I would be aware that if he treats your husband as if he has always been there that he is probably trying to bond wit him and that too much interaction between you and your husband in front of him could be seen as you trying to take his human from him and Senegals do tend to be jealous birds.
Other factors that have a major effect on a birds behaviors are lighting and diet as well as how much out of cage time they have.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Josh's mom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. The only time a bird who resides under my roof is in the cage is when I'm asleep or not home. They are and will remain out and not "locked up" as much as possible. He watches my interaction with Mercy closely.(Baby Senegal). I will let my husband know what you informed me of about affection. This is by far the most beautiful Senegal I have ever seen. Vivid Colors and almost glowing eye color. That is not why he is here. He is here mainly because he seemed to be un adoptable due to his aggression. They both get fresh air although the light is indirect on our lanai. A great set up thanks to my hubby. For the time being they are on separate perches. Not friends. Of course they will remain in separate cages but I'm hoping they will perch together eventually. Diet consists of pellets, Higgens Sunburst, and fresh fruit in the A.M., fresh veggies in the P.M. Also I offer grains as we eat this way as well. I speak very soft and sweet to him and he watches me closely Thank you and if there is anything that sounds like I'm not doing right or if anyone knows how to make friends with a bird that seems to hate me for no reason I'm open for any suggestions. He hasn't gone out of his way to attack me as of yet. I am scared of him and don't mind if he knows. He must also earn my trust. I will continue to be nothing but kind to him. It is now my job to open the cage in the a.m. so he can also associate me with being out. I do believe he has had to be locked up a whole lot for obvious reasons. Thank you again
Josh's mom
Parakeet

Postby Josh's mom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

P.S. I have had 3 Blue and Golds in my lifetime (also rescues). Never once been treated like this lil guy is doing. Trying really hard to not take it personal, and wondering why at the same time. I may never know that answer. Just so whoever reads this I am aware of the "no food's for birdies" toxic list, such as avocados, apple seeds, caffeine, too much salt, and have recently heard that although they can have yogurt other dairy is on this list as well. Also want to mention that these are the only pets in my home and it will remain this way. My husband and I live alone and do have grandchildren who come over regularly. The kids range in age from 4 to 12. We spend a lot of time educating them about birds and respect. They do not intimidate or disrespect our feathered friends whatsoever.
Josh's mom
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:36 pm

For the birds, indirect light is fine as long as it is not filtered through glass which takes out the uv light.
I really don't see much to their diet that I would change except for the time of day that they receive the higher protein foods such as the seeds and pellets. I would feed these items for their evening meal, partially because they are high energy foods that will hold them through the night when they don't eat better than the lower energy foods do and partly due to the fact that the high protein foods tend to make them more aggressive.
There is no telling what this bird has had to endure in its short life due to humans and their lack of knowledge about the needs of these wonderful creatures. It is possible that some of the off behaviors are due to learning that he could not trust humans, but I don't know. I do have a Senegal of about 6 yrs. old and she is mostly a one person bird although she will tolerate my Lady to some degree and in fact started bonding to her and then changed her mind and bonded to me instead. She is also inquisitive about new people whenever one shows up and will fly to them to check them out, which worries me a little as she bites hard if she bites at all and if she doesn't like someone she bites first and doesn't bother to ask questions later.
It appears to me that over all you are doing great but just have to remember that in all things parrot related patience is the main thing.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Josh's mom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Thank you for your comments. I read them twice as I am desperate to make this lil guy a forever as long as we live his home! My husband wants to adopt him and be done with fostering. He believes that this lil guy is love starved and has resorted to survival mode since others have given up on him and that is why it would be really hard for anyone to be committed to loving him back to health. He shivers as I sit in a chair close by and speak sweetly to him. Trying to assure him that I am no threat and only want to be an ally. Yet as I dare to approach he lets me know that he is not o.k. with this and also attempts a strike at me. I made it through today without injury. But am the one who took him from the cage to the perch via a stick perch since I would never offer my fingers or hand for him to attack me. I admire him so much and can see that he is as or more afraid of me than I am him. He shivers although not cold as I sit next to wherever he is and just tell him that I am a friend... We shall see. This is the first time in my life that I have prayed for a bird. My prayer is simple. That he will know that I am truly not a threat that he can rebound from whatever some human did to him or the chaos from being in a rescue. I will not give up easily and do pray too that he doesn't hurt my precious and sweet Mercy that nothing but good has been written upon. Thank you again for your reply. I am hungry to learn all I can so I can help this precious creature.
Josh's mom
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 pm

With that attitude, I have no doubt that you will succeed in reaching through to let him know that you are his friend. All of my birds came to me in various degrees of neglect and differing states of abuse except for one and all are doing well. I have an Amazon who came to me so abused that she is damaged mentally and would have probably been put down if she had gone to a shelter because there is no way that they would ever have been able to rehome her. She knows that we are her friends and has come a long ways back but is still not quite right mentally. She is trying really hard though and I don't know how long it will take but I think that eventually she will recover. The first few months were spent in constant screaming, she even woke up at night screaming. But with a lot of time and the help of the other birds the screaming is over except for a short spell once in a while and she is beginning to act like a more normal parrot. I can only talk to her and she is quite a talker, but very minimal handling, only being able to take her from cage to inside tree perch once in a while. And she is just beginning to approach me, while in her cage, on her own.
All of that story is just to help you to know that you have a very good chance of succeeding with your new Senegal.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Josh's mom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:08 am

I think it is just too sad what some humans do to offend and hurt the animal kingdom! I'm happy that your Amazon found you! You offer her hope that all humans are not bad. This encourages me. :senegal: I've always thought that birds are not the most resilent creatures and although this may be true to a degree, I also believe although it will be a challenge it can be done and they are so worth it. I just won't plan any trips for a while so that we don't regress with progress. It's only been a few days now and other than the biting which does hurt, he shivers when not cold as though he is nervous and yesterday I noticed him pulling at his wing area. I'm hoping to introduce him to a shower soon. Not sure what the pulling is about. He is fully feathered so it doesn't appear to be plucking, but could be a nervous tic. I will be gone to work all day today but my husband is home more than I am. He will be here most of the day. I'm hoping as Zazu see's how we treat Mercy that will speak to him as well. Not sure if birds put that together like this. Not sure if any animal can be reasoned with, but I do hope it helps him see that Mercy is truly a family member and accepts us as his flock.
Josh's mom
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:35 am

You are doing the bird a great service by fostering him but, I have to tell you that, personally, I don't think that two male senegals in the same household will work out. These are intensely jealous birds which tend to be not only aggressive but also absolutely fearless and, if you manage to bond with him (took me years with my very aggressive rescued male), you will have a constant battle between the two birds. And giving them separate perches doesn't work unless you keep both severely clipped which is terribly detrimental to their physical and emotional wellbeing. Hens tend to be sweeter but even them are insanely jealous of other people, birds and anything and anybody they might perceive as a threat to their relationship with you. Now, if the bird was a female, you would have a good chance of them bonding with one another and achieving a great relationship with both but, although I hope I am wrong, I don't see that happening with two males...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:23 pm

I must admit that Pajarita is much more knowledgeable about birds than I am, so I would definitely listen to her advice . Senegals can be very difficult to socialize especially when it comes to other birds and when it comes to other birds and humans receiving attention from their special human and I am afraid that I have downplayed this aspect more than was my intention. My Senegal does tolerate my Lady and she does very well with the other birds that I have as I am able to have both her and my Grey on me at the same time or her and my parrotlet the same way and I let them perch and walk and climb about on me for an hour or so at a time, but it could be as I am told often that my Senegal is a very special bird to allow this to occur at all.
This post has made me realize that due to currant circumstances that I am a bit too distracted and I apologize if I have misled or misrepresented any bird that I have replied about. I will make a post concerning this in the general and off topic section.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Introductions