Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Louisiana Birds I’m new here

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Louisiana Birds I’m new here

Postby CandaceC » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Greetings!

Louisiana here. I was the bird keeper at the Baton Rouge zoo in the 70s and 80s and kept/bred Cockatiels and Finches in a small home aviary. It’s been about 30 years since I kept birds, but I’m retired now and getting back into it. I’m hoping to foster/adopt more feathered friends. So far, I have a 3 month old Quaker named Izzy and am in the process of adopting a Sun Conure named Ryder.
I’ve been diligently studying on the web since I know many things, especially nutrition, have changed in the past several years.
I’m delighted to have found this forum!
CandaceC
CandaceC
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Louisiana Birds I’m new here

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:11 am

Hi, Candance, Izzy and Ryder, welcome to the forum and thank you for adopting Ryder! Yes, many, MANY things have changed since the 70's and 80's and not only in diet, we now know about avian photoperiodism and that is essential birds follow a strict solar schedule and we now that what we thought were 'bad' behaviors are, in reality, perfectly normal, etc. But make sure you do research based on scientific studies, field reports, etc. Do not trust anybody's opinion. People have good intentions but very few do any real research...

And kudos for getting a sunnie after getting a quaker because, although quakers are sui generis, a study done on their DNA found that the closest relatives are Sun conures!

Please let us know how we can best be of help.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions