Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi, newbie here

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi, newbie here

Postby webblock » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 pm

I'm new here. I have a DYH Amazon, her name is Noelle. She is quite a character. I used to have a Quaker, she was adorable and unbelievably smart. My Amazon is 21 years old and I am 66. I have no children and none of my friends are into birds. I am nervous about what to do for her when I die. Any suggestions? :amazon:
webblock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: dyh Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi, newbie here

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:23 am

Hi, Noelle and zon, welcome to the forum. I am also old and, hopefully, will be outlived by most of my birds - and I also don't really have anybody who would take over all of my birds so I have identified a couple of good rescues for them. I suggest you do the same, look for comments in their website or FB, go in person to the rescue and ask about the care and diet the birds get (do they get a fresh food diet? do they come out of their cages? for how many hours? what are the requirements for adoption? etc

Just one more thing, parrots in captivity don't really last as long as people think... it's very rare for an amazon to live after 40, they all die young because most people feed them wrong -they need a very low protein, low fat, high fiber, very high moisture diet so pellets are not good for them, same as seeds. They need A LOT of raw produce, whole grains and some nuts for dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions