Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello there!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello there!

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Generally when changing the perches I do it one at a time and put the new one where the old one was. I usually start with the highest one first as this is usually their sleeping perch. I then usually change the ones near the food and water next. The rest don't matter as much, at least in my mind.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:27 am

I change all of them at the same time but that's only because I mostly use natural tree branches - and I do put them in, roughly, the same spots as the 'old' ones were. But, when you first start, you sometimes have to change the placement to accommodate the bird's preferences (for example, if the bird happens to like perching on one particular perch more than the others, you might have missed that he would end up pooping on a lower one - see what I mean?). Don't worry too much over the perches, use natural tree branches with the bark on them (wash them thoroughly and put them in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees to kill any mites that might have burrowed into the wood) and a couple of Sweet Feet (these are the only commercial ones I personally recommend).

Look also in Kijiji as well as Rescue Me along with Craigslist.

As to getting up very early, here's a nice story of a little GCC male I rehomed to a wonderful couple. He is an actor as well as the Director of a theatre group and, many nights, he will end up going to bed quite late which makes it hard for him to get up early so, at dawn, he gets up to open the windows and the cages (he also has a Spanish Timbrado canary I bred myself) and goes back to bed but Leo (the GCC) starts callilng: "Daddy, daddy, get up. DADDY, GET UP, GET UP!" and won't stop until he does. So, see, you don't have it THAT bad! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:44 am

I don't often think much about people sleep, I think that the reason for this is that in addition to being flexible as to when I sleep, I don't sleep more than 2 or three hours at the most during any one sleep session. This makes adjusting my sleep patters to accommodate the birds is very easy for me. My Lady, on the other hand get up at 4:30 to 5 am so she has to go to bed by 8 pm. So I understand the difficulties that some people have with making this adjustment, although I don't share the problem.
It would be nice to keep our birds on the same type of schedule that we humans keep, but due to their physiological dependence of things such as natural lighting, that is an impossibility as they are the ones who pay the full price of us not keeping them to their natural schedule, while we are lucky in that we only have to deal with some of the side effects of this.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Hannerz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:55 am

Sounds like perch installation could go either way. She is still very nervous and goes into a total panic when I have to mess with her cage. It is tempting to just do it all and get it over with so I can stop coming back and causing more panics, but I don't want to overwhelm her with too much change and intrusion at once. I'm leaning towards one addition at a time with some time between each. Hopefully that is less traumatic overall. And I might wait a bit longer for her to be calmer around me first, but I feel so bad for her... Her cage is pretty boring right now and she has yet to show any interest in leaving it, which really really stinks on top of the fact that she's only got scary-old-me for company.

I can't help but worry about what kinds of perches I put in there. I have been doing perhaps a little too much research on what is and is not dangerous for birds and am currently a super cautious bird mama. I haven't been living where I am now for very long, so I don't know for sure what plants around me are treated. In the fall or winter when allergies are less of an issue I'll go out on a hike to get some branches from the woods, where they are almost certainly safe. For now though, I'm just purchasing.

Thanks for recommending those sites, Pajarita. With all these places to look, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to find a cockatiel in need of a home near me while not supporting any shady activity. Between those sites, there are several with an hour's drive of me right now. And I have pretty much made up my mind that when the time is right, I do want to get another.

That GCC story is hysterical! They seem like funny little birds, from everything I've heard about them. And no, I definitely do not have it that bad! She does get going when she hears the birds outside in the morning, but at least it is not directed at me and not with the intention of waking me up.

I think it is better that I can't have her adjust to my nonsensical schedule- I am in dire need of some forced structure. I've been having trouble getting my sleep schedule back on track for a few years now after an insane course load only allowed me a maximum of three or four hours sleep a night during the week. I often can't get to sleep unless I am absolutely exhausted and I end up sleeping for a really long time when I do. Add to that a fun new health problem that makes me extremely tired and out of it when I go too long without eating and drinking (like when I sleep!) and my sleep schedule is a total train wreck. Some more flexibility would be nice, but this might be exactly what I need.
Hannerz
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:18 am

I know that it might sound strange, but sometimes the best way to gain more flexibility in ones life is to establish a good schedule and stay with it. I can't tell you all of the times that I have seen it work in my own life as well as in the lives of people that I have known.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:30 am

Well, when it comes to schedules, you really cannot go by me because I am borderline OCD (although, according to some of my children -the 'mean' ones :D -, there's no 'borderline' about it :lol: ) and have this thing for efficiency so I am don't only get completely bent out of shape when I cannot follow my strict schedule, I am always looking for ways to do every chore in a more efficient way. But, in my defense I'll say that, if I wasn't this way, I wouldn't be able to keep so many animals healthy, clean and happy as well as a clean house and a satisfied family. My late mother always used to say that I like having a complicated life and that if I found a way to save 5 minutes in the day, I would take on something that would require 10 -I am still a bit hyperactive, even at my age.

Personally, whenever I have to deal with a scared bird, I think that stressing them out once it's better than a little bit at a time.

As to your trouble sleeping, have you tried OTC sleeping aids and a little protocol right before sleeping? Like never doing computer work, video games o phone texting later than 30 minutes prior going to bed (the blue light of the screens affects your brain and prevents you from sleeping), taking some melatonin 20 to 30 minutes prior, having a nightcap, etc
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 am

I can't be fixed with OTC. I seriously believe that they can't help Wolf. I used to take a Tylenol PM but that was far in the past.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:04 am

I am fine with my sleep or lack of it. It is not my sleeper that is broke it is my back and they can't fix that. But I will get by.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Hannerz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks for your concern and thoughts, everyone. OTC sleeping aids help a little bit, but not much and not unless I am already tired when I take them. I don't notice much difference between using and not using electronics before bed. I never drink any caffeinated beverages either. My mind just doesn't like to shut up and take a rest. I've always been like that to an extent, but it has been very out of hand lately. I am pretty certain a firm schedule is what I need, I've just never been able to hold one on my own without an outside reason for it. School schedules have helped a lot in the past, but those have unstructured weekends which constantly throw back progress. Having to take care of a bird is an every day thing. And I think it will help me deal with this new health problem. Since I have to get up extra early for the bird, I can eat and drink then laze about until I feel better and can start getting ready for the rest of the day. Hopefully having a solid morning routine will help a nighttime one fall into place.

The cockatiel is near-officially named Fido now. I've been calling her that jokingly since we found her, intending to think of a more well-suited name once I got to know her personality. As silly as it is, it has really been growing on me.

Thanks for your input on one scare vs. multiple, Pajarita. I keep going back and forth on what I think is best on an almost hourly basis. I'm still waiting for the perches to arrive. I think once they're here I will lay them near the cage for a few days so she hopefully won't be scared of them in addition to the installation.

Fido has made a lot of progress the past several days! A few days ago, she yelled a bunch when I was singing along to a few songs I had put on- she either really likes or really hates fun and bouncy showtunes. No other kinds of songs have caused anywhere near that much of a response. She was excited one way or the other, but I was having a hard time figuring it out through her body language. It wasn't fear, so either way I'm going to say it is an improvement. She is comfortable with me much closer to the cage now, especially if I am sitting in a chair. Today I was able to sit just a few feet away while talking on the phone. She spun her head all around looking and listening to me, then started preening! After I hung up, she did some stretches and squeaky/grinding beak sounds. I have no idea what prompted the sudden improvement, but it makes me pretty happy. She still doesn't like me going up to her cage to give her food and water, but she has mostly stopped panicking over it.
Hannerz
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Most of the birds that I have met seem to really like music especially those with a good beat that they can sing and dance to.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions