Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Indian ringneck?

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Indian ringneck?

Postby AnimalAffinity » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 pm

I really really want an indian ringneck, I have experience with parrots and have the money, but I will be going to college in two years and I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas or any tips on :irn: care. Thank you for any responses
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, a cockatiel, and an indian ringneck parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Indian ringneck?

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Patience... As with all other things involving parrots, patience. IRN's are very needy and it takes a lot of time to keep them from reverting back to a wild frame of mind. You really don't want to, or think it would be right to need to depend on someone else to do this for you, especially since if you got one or two of them now, they would be going through puberty about that time. This, I think, is why you pose this scenario at this time. You are hoping for someone to confirm that which you already know.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 am

Yep, not a good idea because the bird will be at its most difficult in two years time and you will not have enough time for an independent kind of parrot much less an IRN which requires lots of daily handling. College is a very time-consuming endeavor and you need to be able to concentrate on studying and nothing else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AnimalAffinity » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 am

I would be still living in my home and going to a college near by if that makes any difference, and the parrot I want is already ten years old. She was a breeder in a pet store, they have retired her and now nobody wants to buy her since she's so old and her children are available, I just fell bad she's been there in a small cage her entire life,
She looks pretty rough.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 am

Aw, poor, poor thing! Well, most likely, she will never be anything than an aviary bird so as long as your parents don't mind caring for her when you go to college and you have the room for a large flight cage for her, it should be OK - but don't expect her to be a pet bird because there is a VERY small chance of this happening.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:57 pm

I got two male cockatiels from an over crowded breeder for $10. He said they were wild and I would never be able to touch them. I opened the cage door and let them fly and fly and fly. When they got tired and landed on the floor they stepped up and gladly accepted contact for the very first time in their lives. I still have :greycockatiel: Shadow.

I homed a female named :greycockatiel: Rosie. She was suppose to love people contact. I nick named her pit bull for the way she not only bit but shook her head to take a chunk.

I never wanted any of them to be anything but happy. I don't trick train and I don't teach them to talk. They learned to talk as kids do.

She may never love you but it sounds like you have enough love to give her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby AnimalAffinity » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:03 pm

I went to the pet store today and the store had the ringneck babies flying around free, one walked right over to me leaned out and grabbed my shirt, the whole time I was there he followed me leaning as far as he could to pull at me. I feel conflicted the reason I want a ringneck is for a bird that wants to interact with me my budgies aren't really interested and I think I should respect that, if u think the Moma won't I kinda want this baby now. What should I do?
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 am

Again, the question is who will be the main caregiver and the bird's human because you won't be able to be 'it' once you go to college and ringnecks need A LOT of daily handling to stay tame or they revert to wild ways (they are known for this). If you have a stay at home mother or father and whoever stays home is willing to be the bird's human for the next 30 years, then you can get a baby.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby AnimalAffinity » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

I know that they live long and I'm okay with this just a few years in college might be hard but I think I could still make time for it.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 am

Look, if you are planning on taking three hours a day, every day, in the middle of the day, to spend with the bird, I seriously doubt you will be able to get any college degree in a normal amount of time -you might be able to swing it in 15 years or so, though :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Parrot Tales