Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A Visit to the Parrot Shop

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

A Visit to the Parrot Shop

Postby LadySaphine » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm

So, yesterday we (my mom, brother, and I) visited a (Unsure if there's more or not) Parrot University shop. Really, a parrot rescue. They had 7 :macaw: s or so, one Military/Green Wing hybrid macaw, 2 umbrella 'toos, a very loud white-bellied caique, 3 Timnehs (I was seriously going to impulse buy one. It was begging for a head scritch through the bars. </3 ), one CAG, who was flirting with a new customer (wolf whistles! :lol: ) and I think 4 Blue-fronted Amazons. They also had some tiels, budgies, and the cutest (but territorial) little parrotlet on earth. (I've never actually seen a parrotlet in real life- SO. CUTE.)

Now, all of these birds were rescues. Included, also, was a female Hahn's Macaw, one of the mini macaws. She was rescued, I think. Anyways, the lady said she was fed only peanuts for the first 3 years of her life. This poor bird, who should be around Amazon-sized or so, was a little smaller than my own green cheek. She was plucked bare. But, what was really sweet, was that she had a companion, a Blue-crowned Conure. They were cuddling together, it was very sweet. :)

The parrotlet, Fiona, was VERY cute. So cute that I think she's cuter than Peanut. She was very territorial, but the lady said that she was great when she's outside of her cage.

We bought some toy for Peanut- a foraging toy, this toy made out of straws, and a strip of leather I knotted, which she likes to chew on. We also bought one of those manicure perches. I haven't seen her on it yet.

So...yeah. The lady said they're backed up 15 months in people who want to get rid of their parrots... it's really sad. :/
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens
Flight: Yes

Re: A Visit to the Parrot Shop

Postby EleriDragonfly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm

It's good that there are places like this that help abandoned birds, but a shame that there are so many people wanting to get rid of them :( They clearly didn't do their research before buying their bird.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm

All rescues, good and bad, are full to capacity less than two years after they open their doors. The market is saturated and people are still breeding them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby jthorntonwillis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 pm

This is truly a shame,but we are preaching to the choir here. We need to get ot to the pet shops and tell people to RESEARCH before the buy a bird on an impulse"because it's cute" :swaying:
Better to burn out than it is to rust- N.Young
jthorntonwillis
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue front Amazon

Postby janetafloat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:48 am

I don't think Hahn's Macaws are zon sized, they're much smaller.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby LadySaphine » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

janetafloat wrote:I don't think Hahn's Macaws are zon sized, they're much smaller.

Maybe the other mini macaw was a Severe, I'm not too sure. But I would think they're bigger than a green cheek...
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby JaydeParrot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 am

janetafloat wrote:I don't think Hahn's Macaws are zon sized, they're much smaller.

What is a zon?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby marie83 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 am

JaydeParrot wrote:

What is a zon?

amazon
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Parrot Tales