Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gary's great escape

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Gary's great escape

Postby sunny sara » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:07 pm

About 3 months ago, I opened my front door and my Half-Moon Conure, Gary , flew out the front door. I was very sad and I yelled his name. I heard his weak little squawks in the distance, until a gigantic flock of Half-Moons passed by the tree he flew to, and then he was gone. I cried the whole day and even skipped a very important meeting i had because i couldnt get my head around the fact that he was gone for good. Turns out, I shouldn't have done that because, I tried one last time calling his name from the balcony, when suddenly, a flock of 5 Half-Moon Conures passes infront of the balcony. I knew that it was just a random flock of them, but then I realized that one of them seemed smaller, more tired, and his voice was squeakier. It was Gary. I was honestly so shocked to see my bird, after 4hours o him leaving the house, to be circling my house, trying to find a way in. he ended up landing on a tree in my backyard because he was so exhausted, so I rushed downstairs, out to my backyard, and climbed a tall, steep pile of wood. The feeling of relief I felt when he leaped onto my shoulder, panting, cannot be described. He then proceeded to drink 2 full water bowls of water and almost half a bag of almonds and peanuts.

What I want you to get out of this story is that no matter what you go through and expect will happen, there's always hope :macaw:
sunny sara
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half-moon Conure or Orange fronted Parakeet ( I'm not sure )
Flight: Yes

Re: Gary's great escape

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:53 am

Oh, wow, I am so happy the story had a happy ending! But, my dear, big ouch on the almonds and peanuts meal... I hope this was just an extraordinary type of meal and not what he eats regularly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby VanessaGregory » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:22 am

Oh Wow. He could fly but was not yet ready for the lifestyle. How wonderful that they brought him home. May have been a relief to them as well. One wonders if he learned a lesson of would do it again. I lost a pet Galah who flew off my lap, gave a couple of squarks and was gone. Sadly, he did not return and was unlikely to have found enough food and water in the wild. That was fifty six years ago but I have not forgotten how sweet he was.
VanessaGregory
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:54 am

Parrots that have no mates will go looking for one no matter how much they love us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales