Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Making Parrots Go Back Into Cage Willingly

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Many parrot owners have trouble getting their parrots back in the cage. This article is about the system I have in place that not only do my parrots let me put them away (using a variety of methods) but they look forward to it so much that I can use it as a reward for complex behaviors like simultaneous recall. After the article, check out the video of the different ways I can put my parrots back into the cage.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Making Parrots Go Back Into Cage Willingly

Postby Heno » Thu May 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks that realy helped with my bird
Heno
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
green-cheeked conure
Love Birds
Parrotlet

Postby Nualahoops » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 am

Excellent advice , I have only had my cockatoo a few days , bonding really well but the previous owner basically let him do as he pleased , so has a few bad habits , I have done some of the training tips no food out of cage , but the biting when he doesn't want to in , I hadn't experienced before and as I had said I think the bird olly was left to his own devices and top dog so to speak , this information is great on all levels thankyou .
Thanks , Donna :)
Nualahoops
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A cockatiel ,and a cockatoo

Postby arwadas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:01 am

Your advice was extremely helpful. I have a Senegal as well and he was very territorial on his cage.
arwadas
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby missis19 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Ok I'm going to be the jerk and tell you that what you are doing is not the best way to get that or any other behavior. As a matter of fact, i've watched a few of your youtube videos and as far as i can see, you either click too much, don't reward enough, click too late and otherwise really inhibit the subject's ability to learn quickly. For this behavior specifically, (going back into the cage) there are much faster and more efficient ways of getting the bird to respond without your "determination". I can usually get it don't in a few minutes, if not just a few reps. Proper operant conditioning should get the subject to WANT to do the proper behavior, without 500 different reasons why it may or may not want to go in. (PS when going back in if the bird bites it has nothing to do with your training it to bite per se, it has to do with what you are doing and not doing with and to the bird. I'll leave it to you to figure that out).

There are a lot more things I saw on this one that aren't either the best way of doing things or just outright wrong. For example, climbing on the cage is bad?!? Really?!? Seriously?!? If your bird isn't trained well enough to come down when cued, that's not on the bird, that's on you. There are no such things as bad trainees, just bad trainers. You don't get to blame the subject for your lack of training skill. Sorry you don't.

If you would like more clarity on what i've said and/or some help fixing up your mistakes, PM me. My feeling is that if you are calling yourself an expert on training behavior, you really ought to know the right ways of doing things. I'm sure you're not going to like this post and more than likely kick me off the forum and you're more than welcome to, but that doesn't suddenly change things and make you right. You will still be wrong.
missis19
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: red fronted macaw, caique

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm

:lol: No, we don't 'kick anybody out' of the forum for having a different opinion (I am famous for debating a bit 'too hard' sometimes). If you have a better method of training I personally think that, instead of coming here trying to put anybody down, you should get your own website, book, tours, etc. like Michael has.

I do not train my birds at all (no sessions, no clicker, no rewards, no nothing but praise and love) but they all obey a number of commands, one of them being "Go Home" which means they should go to their cages. But, even though I do not follow Michael's teachings, I still would not dream of arguing with him about his methods because, as I am sure that your mother must have taught you, being rude to your host in his own house is not acceptable behavior... so let's just leave it at that.

We wish you and your birds the best of luck!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments