Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Nichelson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 am

This training it work today i have do it whit my 2 year lovebirds they was realy angry of my hand but today they come up my hand :swaying: iam happy :thumbsup:
Nichelson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby Zooey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Thank you so much! My budgies are stars at target, as it turns out, inside the cage with my hand in there. I have a problem, though. Once I tried to get my better parakeet, Perry, out, but then he flew into my sister's room. I can't transport them to a training perch. Is there any way to get them to NOT fly away?
They're not your whole life, but they make your life whole.
Perapumpernickelle/Perry :budgie2:
Duke :budgie2:
Zooey
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Postby seeekooo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:03 am

Hello Michael,
I will use Force-out and reconcile method. So my question: should I have to clip wings to prevent it flying off?
seeekooo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 am

Not necessarily. Just make sure you take it out in a very small room (bathroom/closet with light) so it can't get too far away. Make sure it is already used to taking millet from your hand before you take it out. Make sure it is hungry when you do take it out and just let it eat a lot of millet from you. If in doubt though, I suggest using the target in cage method unless you have a good sense of what you are doing or already have a fairly tame bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby seeekooo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 am

Thanks Micheal for your help,

Sometimes I can touch the budgie by finger without any problem but it didnt eat from my hand. Even if it is very hungry it will not eat from my hand. And I have another problem that it dont eat anything except seeds. I tried to decrease the seeds and add some veggies like lettuce and parsley and sometimes stop the seeds and keep veggies only but it will not eat ever even if it is very hungry.
seeekooo
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby loops and fruits » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 pm

this article was awesome but what do you do if you have a pair of fischer lovebirds that are very,very vicious.
loops and fruits
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: fischer lovebirds

Postby 178 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:11 am

First of all, i would like to thank you for the great article...

I have read it and really want to apply it to my budgie...thing is..my budgie seems like to fly very much...it is clipped though but still whenever i took him out of the cage hoping to train him...he justfocus onflying away...

Heis pretty tame, meaning that he would come to my hand and eat the seeds inside the cage..he will also step up to my fingers...

However, as soon as he is out of cage, he will bobbing his little head and aiming to fly away...he couldnt fly high and far but still it prevent me to train him target training or step up training as ur article suggested...please let me know how to train him with said condition..thank you for any advices.
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Nury_the_quaker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks, great article I will be using tgis information to train my quaker tomorrow :monk:
Nury_the_quaker
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker (monk) parrot, Zebra finches

Postby SunConure » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Some of the videos aren't working and they are very helpful. Can you fix them?
SunConure
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby Luqman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 am

Your videos are really interesting Michael.
My echo parakeet, Bébé, who's a baby raised parrot is an interesting case. Whenever I go near his cage, he always gets fluffy and when I put my hands through the cage bars, he tries to bite me. He doesn't get aggessive when I just sit next to the cage, but only when I put my finger through the cage bars or try to open the door.However you may be stunned to know that he has a bit Of Dr. Jerkyll and Mr. Hyde persona.
One day I opened the cage door, he came out and went up the cage. He was still aggessive. I took a towel and grabbed it through that towel and took him away from his cage.Now he was no more fluffy. He accepted petting came on my hands and didn't bite me. But whenever I put him back in his cage he became aggressive again and refused to step up while trying to bite me. I tried the target trick several time but whenever he got near the stick, he fought with it, trying to break it.
Can you please give me a solution to this case, please Michael. I want him to step up so that I can teach him new tricks while improving our realtionship.
Luqman
Luqman
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Echo Parakeet

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments