Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby ross » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Ottimo Articolo, di Quelli che servono uno qualcosa complimenti, ho diversificato Pappagalli addestrati con Problemi Più UNO ho, POI TI Faccio Sapere ciao scusa il disagio per la lingua .........
ross
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: monk-calopsite-lovebird-rosella-kakariki-
Flight: Yes

Postby Jholt11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks for the great information. I ordered your perches and am inspired to start training. One question. I have a brown headed parrot, which I am most excited about training, and two lineolated parakeets. I have the two parakeets in a cage together, they are very tame, however I am wondering how to best train them to keep them tame and possibly some basic tricks. Does keeping two together in the same cage present any specific challenges in training?

Separating them is not an option, The brown head is the bird I want to work with on tricks, but I would like the parakeets to come out of the cage (step up) and remain calm while being held. Right now when they are separated they just call to one another.

Thanks again I was really inspired by your videos, blog, and forum. Thanks for offering all this great information to everyone.

Jeff
Jholt11
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Brown Headed Parrot
Lineolated parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I've never had more than one parrot per cage, so honestly I wouldn't know the specifics of this sort of training. I would assume it is still possible but definitely harder. You can try putting one parakeet on each training perch at some distance apart. You do a few repetitions with one and then focus with the other. I'm sure the same taming techniques would apply but just make sure that the bird you work with pays attention to you at the time. Some food management as outlined in the article should help drive their motivation to earn treats from you.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby muse » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 pm

hey, I'm absolutely loving your videos and training guides. So much more helpful than most of the stuff out there, and it's cool to see what's really possible with some love and attention.

I do have one question though. About a week ago I got my budgie Winter. She's still very young, and quite tame. I can get her to step up every time without troubles, and at night she will sit with us on the couch for hours without getting bored and wandering off to play with something or explore. I'm really impressed with how quick she's bonded to us, and naturally want to get her started on some training as soon as possible, so we can play and interact in a positive manner. Where I'm having trouble is getting her to take a treat. It's taken me almost a week of offering to get her to take to millet (I've tried fruits, and eating them in front of her, but she's not interested yet) and sometimes now she seems to love millet, and then other times she still looks at it as though she doesn't know what it is. The moment I start trying to associate the treat with the clicker she doesn't seem to want the treat any more, and hops away to do something else. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
muse
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Could just be that the bird is too young if you just got it. Sometimes it takes a few months for them to mature a bit more and begin to appreciate food.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby muse » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46 am

Oh hey, I never thought of that, thanks :)

I'll keep working with her a bit every day, teach her how tasty treats can be ^^
muse
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Awesome123 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey will show a video of your bird Piggy Banking?
Awesome123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlets

Postby dolcedk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 pm

hey, i got a bird about 2 weeks ago, and i have tried to feed it with my hand but it just get scared. everytime i put my hand up in front of her, she gets scared. i dont know what she wants to eat either. i put some fruits for her but she dont eat them, but she just ears the nuts and seeds :?
dolcedk
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Don't know what bird i have :s

Postby liz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Okay.

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of bird? How old is it? How long have you had it? Where did you get it? What did the previouse owners tell you about it?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby dolcedk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:24 pm

well, the problem is that i don't know what bird it is :s but she is red around the neck and green on the body + she has a blue tail. she is 8 months old. My dad got it from a friend of his. i got it about 2 weeks ago. but she dosen't get scared when i get close to it, but everytime i put my hand up, she gets scared :cry:
dolcedk
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Don't know what bird i have :s

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments