Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:44 am

Hi Michael,

Its a very informative article for beginners.My cockatiel is 2 months old when I brought her home.She has learnt to step up without any hesitation when I take her out of cage and feels safe and fun in my hand.But when I leave her on the floor or somewhere,she just roams and do what she likes.But refuse to step up on my hand.When I keep my hand near her,she just goes away.And the breeder has practised millet as a food for her.So its getting difficult for me to change her to healthy food.I tried different ways (even the ways suggested by you - I eat by keeping her on my shoulder) but she is adamant.What can I do for this?
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby pheonix » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:51 am

hi
even though i didnt target train my :budgie: (budgies) he steps onto my hand ,he also learned step up and down.if i try to take him outside the cage he flies of to his perch in the cage,his wings are not clipped .now what is the next step i should do pls help
pheonix
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:05 pm

I would still recommend target training your budgie regardless because it is a very useful skill. You will be able to use this to teach it to turn around and go through a toilet paper tube in the future. Furthermore if your bird ever loses tameness, becomes hormonal, or you want to introduce it to other people, you will have a flawless tool in your training tool kit to apply to those situations.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Polly-Angel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi, I have a 3month old ringneck. Is it too early to hand raise her now? Every time I approach her cage she moves to the other side of the cage. I have just had her for 2days now and I really want to bring her out of the cage but I can tell that she's really unsettled. Help?
Polly-Angel
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck

Postby pheonix » Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 am

i hve a :budgie: budgie.i didnt target train him but he steps up and down in the cage.when i take him out of his cage he flies away from me i will have to catch him to get him back to his cage i dont want to target train him to do triks but i want him to stay on me when i take him outside
pls help

with problems
pheonix
pheonix
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies

Postby SweetStrella » Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello, and thank you for this article. I am a new Parrot owner of a 16 week old Sun Conure that my husband and I bought 3 days ago, and I am looking forward to trying some of these techniques. I have been searching the net looking for basic training techniques for beginning to handle your bird and everything I have found til now has been more advanced stuff aside from targeting. It's hard to do that when you can't properly get them out of the cage. LOL. Tink is very sweet but she is having trouble with coming out of her cage. I started to just grab her but she panics and nips my hands but never bites too hard. However, I read that this can do damage to the relationship and actually teach the bird to bite you and fear your hands which is counter productive to the what you are trying to teach. I did notice that once she is out of the cage she is very loving and responsive to my husband, daughter and I and learns and does step up pretty well, but I am fearful of creating anxiety for her when coming out of the cage. Today I began target training her and she did very well with it inside the cage with the door open. She began to allow me to put my hands in near her, fix her toys and move items around without reaching to bite. Some times she would run away to the other side of the cage, but she is slowly coming around. I am going to continue with trying these techniques and hopefully be able to build her trust so I can get her out of her cage without causing her fear and anxiety.
Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:
SweetStrella
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby janetafloat » Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am

Phoenix - what you describe is normal behaviour for a bird. You need to build your relationship with your bird so that when s/he is out of his cage he'll want to come to you. That's the purpose of the trick training really, not for just having a bird perform tricks but to build trust and a relationship and so that your bird will do what you ask it to do. Offer him treats when he's in his cage and when he'll take them readily then offer them to him when he's out of the cage. Talk to him softly and praise him if he comes to you. But don't, under any circumstances, take your bird outside unless he's in a secure carrier. What you are asking simply cannot be done, unless you want to lose your budgie and consign him to a miserable death from hunger or from a predator. Not even a well trained bird can be taken outside safely unless it's wearing a harness or is in a carrier.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Thank you so much!!

Postby Kayleigh » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

I decided to take the plunge and buy a beautiful male Senegal Parrot two days ago from my local pet shop.

I was advised that he was the un-tamed half of a mis-matched breeding pair. He and another male had been sold to the previous owner as a breeding pair - not nice!

We bought Joey back to our house and after feeding him and stroking him through the bars for a few hours decided to let him out of the cage as we'd read that he needed an hour of out time per day however, it was an absolute nightmare we simply opened the cage and he flew out, made a great deal of mess and bit my ear and punctured my thumb!! :violin: Oh well, I still love him :)

Anyway, today I was searching on YouTube for the best tips to train him and came across your videos with Kili which lead me to this blog. THANK YOU! I've already learned how much I did wrong but I'm hoping that the fact that we've just met and now I know from your blog what I need to do, that I can repair our relationship.

Today, I've determined his first and second favourite treats and tomorrow I'm going to start CAGE TRAINING DAY 1.

Thank you very much for the help and advice provided in your blog!!
Kayleigh
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Re: Thank you so much!!

Postby marie83 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 am

Kayleigh wrote:I decided to take the plunge and buy a beautiful male Senegal Parrot two days ago from my local pet shop.

I was advised that he was the un-tamed half of a mis-matched breeding pair. He and another male had been sold to the previous owner as a breeding pair - not nice!

We bought Joey back to our house and after feeding him and stroking him through the bars for a few hours decided to let him out of the cage as we'd read that he needed an hour of out time per day however, it was an absolute nightmare we simply opened the cage and he flew out, made a great deal of mess and bit my ear and punctured my thumb!! :violin: Oh well, I still love him :)

Anyway, today I was searching on YouTube for the best tips to train him and came across your videos with Kili which lead me to this blog. THANK YOU! I've already learned how much I did wrong but I'm hoping that the fact that we've just met and now I know from your blog what I need to do, that I can repair our relationship.

Today, I've determined his first and second favourite treats and tomorrow I'm going to start CAGE TRAINING DAY 1.

Thank you very much for the help and advice provided in your blog!!

Well done in realising what you did wasn't going to work out and going to find better information before you ended up with a big problem. So many people dont. You really wont go far wrong with Michaels articles, I really wish they were available when I first started birdkeeping.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby hmzarza » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am

Hello, I have an Indian Ringneck. He hasn't got his ring yet as he looks quite Young. It's been a month now, and after much time being spent with him and talking to him he has not acquainted himself with me. He is especially scared of my hands. Should I use the force and reconcile method on him? :irn:
hmzarza
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: I currently own an Indian Ringneck. I have owned two budges in the past.

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments